Illumina is looking for a highly motivated, energetic individual that is creative and strategic with a drive to deliver results in a fast-paced innovative space. This attorney joins a dynamic legal team and will be the legal advisor and strategist for product development projects and related portfolios. Responsibilities include capturing inventions, building enforceable global patent portfolios, as well as advising on IP strategy to create long term business value. Location will be Illumina's San Diego Headquarters.
We are looking for you to:
- Draft and prosecute global patent applications.
- Develop and execute against a forward-looking IP strategy for projects and portfolios in line with company business goals.
- Collaborate within and across business units to identify and capture high value innovation.
- Cost-effectively manage high quality patent prosecution work by outside counsel in the US and abroad.
- Effectively partner with product development teams to shape IP strategy for product offering.
- Provide value/risk assessment on third party IP estates and/or landscapes for collaborations, consortiums and other third party complex agreements.
- Contribute to intellectual property assessments in mergers, acquisitions and investments.
- Work strategically and collaboratively with IP litigation team.
- Contribute to educational efforts across business on best practices for IP and other legal matters.
- Drive operational excellence within legal and across the business.
All listed tasks and responsibilities are deemed as essential functions to this position.However, business conditions may require reasonable accommodations for additional task and responsibilities.
- 5+ years of patent prosecution experience required.
- Have prepared at least 100+ patent applications with minimal supervision.
- Top tier law firm and in-house experience strongly preferred.
- Demonstrated strong strategic and analytical thinking.
- Experience with global patent prosecution, patent appeals, re-examination, re-issue, inter partes reviews proceedings, oppositions, and litigation is a plus.
- Proven track record as team player with strong work ethic.
- Clear and flexible communication skills.
- Able to adapt and iterate seamlessly in a fast-paced environment.
- Approaches life with a 'can do' attitude.
- Exemplifies highest ethical standards.
- Technical degree required in engineering, materials science, physics, or related fields.
- Advanced technical degree (Masters or Doctorate) in the above disciplines strongly preferred.
- Experience prosecuting analytical device patents preferred.
- Knowledge of genetics and other biological sciences is beneficial.
- U.S. Law degree and license required.
- USPTO Registration Number required.
Illumina believes that everyone has the ability to make an impact, and we are proud to be an equal opportunity employer committed to providing employment opportunity regardless of sex, race, creed, color, gender, religion, marital status, domestic partner status, age, national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, sexual orientation, pregnancy, military or veteran status, citizenship status, and genetic information.