The Patent Agent is responsible for participating in the development and execution of global patent strategies and managing day to day patent activities to support multiple engineering, R&D and clinical development programs.
- Manage the company’s patents, patent applications, trademarks, and related legal issues world wide.
- Manage intake of freedom-to-operate requests and conducts worldwide patent searches
- Identify inventions and captures high-value IP in collaboration with members of various Business Development, Engineering, R&D and development groups within the Company.
- Partner with inventors to obtain invention disclosure forms and assignment documents.
- Draft high quality patent applications and prosecutes patents relating to inventions that are strategically aligned with the Company’s business objectives.
- Manage and improves processes for tracking innovations and competitor IP activities.
- Work and interacts with collaborators and other external strategic partners to implement global patent strategies.
- Communicate complex patent advice to team members at every level in the organization, with a wide range of scientific backgrounds.
- Assist with strategic IP due diligence, including conducting prior art and patent searches and analyzing the patent portfolios of competitors and potential collaborators.
- Evaluate IP risks and recommends solutions with little supervision.
- Review proposed publications and assesses potential impact on the Company’s IP portfolio.
- Contribute to development of best practices within the Legal group.
- Manage the United States, and international patent portfolio and coordinates with outside counsel and in-house attorneys.
- Coordinate with outside counsel to ensure patent docketing system is up to date.
- Conduct patent training sessions with various engineering, R&D and development groups within the Company
- Review and support the rationalization of the company’s patent portfolio.
- Provide other legal and business support as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Life Sciences, or similar
- Minimum 4 years of experience drafting patent applications
- Prosecution experience, a plus
- Technical expertise in the field of medical device
- Ability to plan, organize and document complex systems while complying with current policies and procedures.
- Excellent communication skills; customer service oriented.
- Ability to thrive in a demanding, change-oriented, fast paced environment requiring a high degree of deadline-driven productivity.
- Strong task-management and prioritization skills.
- Ability to work independently and manage multiple tasks while meeting deadlines.
- Strong written and oral communication skills, including an ability to articulate ideas and clearly and appropriately influence others
- Must be self-motivated and able to manage multiple projects and meet deadlines; able to work independently and as part of a team.