Guardant Health is a leading precision oncology company focused on helping conquer cancer globally through use of its proprietary blood tests, vast data sets and advanced analytics. The Guardant Health Oncology Platform leverages capabilities to drive commercial adoption, improve patient clinical outcomes and lower healthcare costs across all stages of the cancer care continuum. Guardant Health has launched liquid biopsy-based Guardant360®, Guardant360 CDx and GuardantOMNI® tests for advanced stage cancer patients. These tests fuel development of its LUNAR program, which aims to address the needs of early stage cancer patients with neoadjuvant and adjuvant treatment selection, cancer survivors with surveillance, asymptomatic individuals eligible for cancer screening and individuals at a higher risk for developing cancer with early detection.
The Patent Agent will be responsible for aspects of Guardant Health’s U.S. and foreign patent prosecution, focused on bioinformatics, including global prosecution strategies and technical document analysis related to the company’s intellectual property mission.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Designing and implementing prior art, freedom to operate, and other searches.
- Partner with scientific and clinical staff to understand new developments, as well as designing and implementing patent strategies to ensure the necessary protection.
- Participate in overseeing prosecution of the company’s portfolio of U.S. and global patents and patent applications.
- Draft new patent applications and responses to office actions.
- Monitor and analyze competitor intellectual property.
- Work with our patent attorneys and other members of the Legal Group.
- A minimum of about 2 years of experience, ideally in a Patent Agent role working with hands-on patent prosecution
- MS or PhD. Degree in Molecular Biology, Bioinformatics, or other relevant technologies
- Experience with the use, and preferably the development, of software for the analysis of large sets of DNA sequences. Familiarity with statistics and probability theory, especially as applied to machine learning applications, would be optimal.
- Familiarity with cancer molecular biology.
- Experience literature searching and conducting freedom to operate analyses
- Past knowledge of reviewing technical manuscripts, posters, and other materials related to publications and drafting patent applications.
- Experience reviewing and evaluating commercial and technical activities of third parties
- You’re known for your collaboration skills and your ability to draw out critical nuance while partnering with highly technical colleagues.
- You have established relationships working with outside counsel to draft applications, office action responses, amendments and various prosecution documents.
- You have a history of supporting your company’s business and research activities, including providing guidance regarding patentability, freedom-to-operate, patent invalidity and non-infringement, as well as conducting due diligence.
- Strong sense of integrity and appreciation for managing confidential matters.
Employee may be required to lift routine office supplies and use office equipment. Majority of the work is performed in a desk/office environment; however, there may be exposure to high noise levels, fumes, and biohazard material in the laboratory environment. Ability to sit for extended periods of time.