Description: We are seeking a Licensed Psychologist to be an integral part of a comprehensive pain management program focused on improving biopsychosocial functioning and restoration as related to the management of chronic and acute pain. Role includes working with multidisciplinary team members, including interventional pain physicians, addiction medicine, primary care, physical therapy, alternative medicine, and pain pharmacists, to provide evaluation, diagnosis, treatment planning, case management & psychotherapeutic interventions.
- Develops, implements, coordinates, and evaluates clinical treatment programs for the diagnosis, treatment, and/or referral of Health Plan members referred to the Comprehensive Pain Management Program.
- Assesses and manages psychological issues for patients entering the chronic pain program which will be done at an individual level and in a group setting and consults with other departments as needed for co-management of care.
- Is responsible for teaching and coordinating educational activities for patients in pain program in group classes.
- Participates in staff conferences to select, plans, and evaluates treatment programs. Service as an important branch point for redirecting patients to other needed services, such as addiction medicine, interventional pain, pain pharmacy, etc.
- Provides outpatient psychotherapy to individuals, couples, families, and groups suffering from various chronic pain conditions.
- Instructs and counsels patients and their families regarding compliance with prescribed therapeutic regimens and adherence to prescribed medication regimens, within the scope of practice.
- Administers specialized therapeutic procedures such as cognitive behavioral (CBT)therapy,acceptance and commitment therapy (ACT), dialectical behavioral therapy (DBT), and meditation/relaxation techniques, biofeedback, hypnosis.
- Collaborates with physicians in screening and evaluating patients for candidacy for opioid or psychotropic medications, within scope of practice.
- Evaluates patient candidacy for implantable interventional pain procedures, such as spinal cord stimulation and intrathecal pump placement.
- Functions as part of a multidisciplinary team, including but not limited to: member, psychiatrist, psychologists, primary care physician, physician specialists, nurse, nurse practitioner, pharmacist, dietitian, social worker, and case manager, to develop, implement, manage, and evaluate the medical treatment plan and communicate with the providers. Note: This include clinical supervision to the Behavioral Health Manager when applicable.
Seeking Psychologist with experience working with Chronic Pain population. Some travel to alterante locations in the Baltimore area is possible, including Woodlawn, White Marsh, Towson, and South Baltimore County.
- Minimum one (1) year of clinical internship with specialized training or experience chronic pain medicine/management.
- Ph.D. or Psy.D in psychology from an accredited university or professional school, including didactic and clinical training in pain management, health psychology and biological bases of behavior in clinical medicine.
- Minimum of sixteen hundred (1600) hours of formal post-doctoral training program in pain management in medical settings with anesthesiology, physical medicine, and/or surgical services, or, an equivalent combination of training, supervision, and experience.
License, Certification, Registration
- Licensed psychologist required with ability to practice in the state of Maryland.
- Knowledge of biofeedback and ability to perform/teach cognitive behavioral therapy, relaxation techniques as it relates to pain management.
- Knowledge of tolerance, addiction and psuedoaddiction in pain patients.
- Conversant in anatomy and physiology of pain, pharmacologic, surgical and procedural treatments for pain.
- Knowledge of social services agencies, state regulations and APA standards as they relate to client treatment, patient rights and client/patient confidentiality, and other ethical issues.
- Knowledge of worker's compensation system and short term disability system.
- Demonstrated ability to function independently without direct clinical supervision.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Must be able to work in a Labor/Management Partnership environment.
- Documented experience dealing with a wide variety of pain, surgical, psychiatric, chemical dependency and general medical/surgical patients.