Packaging Engineer / Sr Buyer
Qualifications of the Packaging Engineer / Sr Buyer
- Good oral, written, presentation and interpersonal communications skills; ability to effectively exercise tact, discretion, judgment and diplomacy when interacting and/or negotiating with internal and external customers, and senior management, etc.
- Ability to maintain high level of accuracy while producing high volumes under time constraints. Willingness to pay great attention to detail.
- Ability to manage situations to which there has been no prior exposure or for which no clear road map exists
- Ability and willingness to challenge the status quo, including the persistence and willingness to take calculated risk, to stimulate, market and sell new ideas within the organization.
- Ability to perform in a high pressure environment and/or crisis situation and render good decisions to resolve the problems, maintain safety and ensure adherence to Corporate Code of Conduct
- Strong sense of personal and professional ethics.
- Ability to manage change in high tempo environment.
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering, operations, supply chain, business or finance.
- 3-7 years managing packaging and other commodities in a corporate Purchasing or Engineering role for large multi plant manufacturing companies. Spend in excess of $40 million.
- Flooring industry experience helpful but not required.
- Proven track record of process and continuous improvement.
- Six Sigma certification is a plus.
- Ability to take on other indirect commodities over time.
- Supervisory experience a plus.
- Ability to strategically think and problem solve from complex or diverse information; Collects and researches data; Uses intuition and experience to complement data.
- Attention to detail.
- Strong relationship building with Operations, Engineering, and leadership. In a matrix environment.
- High proficiency with all Microsoft applications.
Responsibilities of the Packaging Engineer / Sr Buyer
The Sr. Sourcing Specialist actively manages a large number of supplier relationships with a focus on cost reduction, service, consistency, high-quality, and process improvement. Set sourcing strategy in cross functional environment on Packaging related commodities. Ability to perform lead duties, providing task related direction and advise to junior team members either in direct or indirect reporting relationship.
- Proactively seeks out new suppliers/materials and captures market-driven cost saving opportunities through awareness of market drivers, negotiations, and synergistic opportunities while simultaneously improving quality and operating efficiencies
- Energetically participates in new product development process as the primary purchasing resource for finding and selecting new product components and suppliers, with an aptitude for technical detail and manufacturing processes across a wide variety of raw material types.
- Meets regularly with suppliers and provides data driven feedback on supplier performance
- Assists Sourcing leadership in data gathering and analysis, providing recommendations and research in purchasing decisions of key materials.
- Promote a strong liaison with appropriate personnel across all business units and foster good working relationships with suppliers.
- Proposes and helps lead projects related to material cost reduction and quality improvement using a data-driven approach. Coordinates efforts among Purchasing, Production, and suppliers to reduce material costs while ensuring quality.
- Learns suppliers’ processes at a technical level in order to better identify mutually beneficial opportunities.
- Helps build and issue forecasts of anticipated material consumption to external suppliers, sister-companies, and internal groups such as Finance.
- Assists and leads in accurately setting up new product details within internal systems.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Compensation for the Packaging Engineer / Sr Buyer
- Salary for the Packaging Engineer / Sr Buyer - Based on experience
- Relocation assistance available
- Bonus - 10%
- Full Benefits (Medical, Dental, Vision, Life, 401(k), etc.)
- Degree in Engineering Packaging
- 3 years Purchasing experience
- Equal balance of Packaging and Purchasing