The Packaging Engineer will be responsible for developing packaging designs for new products and line extensions across multiple categories. The position will provide project management for packaging led projects ensuring proper documentation and test results including UN-DOT/ISTA compliance. This position supports optimization initiatives researching new package materials and equipment as needed.
The Packaging Engineer reports directly to the Senior Packaging Engineer. He/she interfaces with both management and union personnel from various levels.
- Package development beaker to bulk: plastics; rigid & flexible, glass, metals, corrugated & reusables,
- Draft protocols, manage qualifications. Generate resulting package specifications.
- Troubleshooting; improve existing product packages through material and design changes.
- Responsible for SAP product and bill of material transaction maintenance as needed.
- Support managing UN/DOT in house package testing process, equipment and packaging technician.
- Maintain or acquire DOT certification to ensure compliance with regulatory requirements.
- Working knowledge of packaging line equipment and automation technology opportunities.
- Work in partnership with product managers, operations & procurement optimizing efficiencies & cost of package designs.
- Coordinate standardizing packaging components while maintaining or enhancing quality and throughputs.
Bachelor’s Degree in a technical field required
Minimum of five (5) years of related experience in packaging engineering roles required
- Working knowledge of SAP and basic DOT packaging requirements
- Demonstrated complex problem solving expertise and experience
- Knowledge of FDA, cGMP, ISO 9000 and applicable state and federal environmental regulations
- Demonstrated organizational, technical leadership, presentation and communication skills
- Ability to partner effectively with all functions and levels of the organization
- Detail oriented; strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Strong sense of urgency, initiative, and drive
- Strong organization and prioritization skills
- Strong competency in Microsoft Office, specifically PowerPoint, Excel and Word