This role, based in New-Jersey, reports to the Vice-President R&D Packaging Consumer Beauty and is accountable for the following:
- Lead the North America Packaging program and support the functional framework across Consumer Beauty Division
- Step up Mastery and Leadership in the North America Packaging community
- Develop future Development and Execution capability (people, process, tools and organization) related to Packaging to support Coty North America in achieving its business objectives
- Develop and Lead the Packaging Technology Innovation program fueling Coty Consumer Division Brands (CoverGirl, Sally Hansen, OPI) with new consumer preferred products
This role is essential to accelerate Innovation technology to help Coty North America to meet its top line growth expectations while improving its overall productivity.
- Lead the Packaging North America Consumer Beauty Packaging Discipline (organization, network).
- Partner seamlessly with Regional Directors of Consumer Beauty Packaging Development.
- Improve Packaging development tools and practices to deliver profitable innovation to Coty’s North America market in an efficient manner.
- Support Packaging process, its sub-processes (e.g. Technical Readiness) and supporting system maintenance documents/charts. Be responsible for its execution across the business as well as the monitoring of its performance.
- Develop and improve regional packaging capabilities supporting packaging development process (CAD, Design engineering, prototyping, specification management system).
- In partnership with Marketing, CMI, Product Development, Supply Chain Disciplines of Consumer Beauty Division, build platform technology program based on consumer/brand/business insights and benefits
- Lead the North America Packaging industry monitoring program, partner with Procurement Organization to identify new opportunities (strategic Innovation sourcing, Open innovation with suppliers).
- Lead the external search and connection to technology initiatives in other markets as source of inspiration for Coty (fashion, automotive, mobile phone, electronics, arts, architecture…), turn insights into new business opportunities.
- Partner with Marketing and other R&D functions to co-lead Technology Innovation Councils.
- Represent Consumer Beauty Packaging in the regional R&D forums .
- Develop Internal Talent pool. Partner with regional universities to develop a talent pipeline for Coty.
- Lead regional complexity reduction program in Packaging, drive Standardization and Simplification looking at end-to-end process opportunities. Partner with Supply Chain leaders and Procurement Organization to continuously reduce the “Total Cost of Ownership” of Packaging and Finish Goods.
- Support the development of Packaging testing methods to accommodate new regulation, new performance parameters and business requirements.
- Participate to the Packaging Green activity program (Spice, Quantis) scope definition, monitoring of performance, special projects.
- Collaborate with whole R&D, Marketing and Supply Chain disciplines to deliver seamless new initiatives to the market from Design, Development to Execution.
- Intervene internally and externally to solve problems affecting Coty’s innovation, Service, Quality, Cost and Cash using appropriate tools to achieve sustainable solutions (Lean tools, DMS, SPC, etc…)
- Ensure packaging specifications deliver the required consumer expectations for all packaging materials (functional, sensorial, performance).
- Ensure Design, Conception and Evaluation phase integrate Value analysis and Quality-into-Design elements. Ensure that PCD team uses the best available tools to deliver reliable, accurate and feasibility cost estimates that are then realized through execution into acceptable target costs.
- Lead all functional activities contributing to productivity improvements related to Packaging Development.
- Secure that all new specifications are implemented without impacting Service, Quality, Cost and Cash.
- Continuously review opportunities of improvement in packaging development to reduce time to market, quality of product and total product cost, benchmarking our own capabilities with best-in-class companies of this industry.
- Partner with whole R&D to develop and holistic process on new product development for functional category (such as DBS, electric devices, dispensing system).
- Sponsor the process to identify, develop and execute standardization and simplification opportunities (non-consumer and consumer noticeable).
- Own the development and succession plans of the North America Packaging team and recommend staffing changes. Build and sustain, packaging professional skill matrix and the associated training programs.
- Define and monitor “Green” KPI for packaging. Ensure that project teams develop all new initiatives following Essential Requirements guidelines.
- Propose targets and develop specific Packaging development metrics to measure functional performance, aligning targets with other functions.
- Leading a team of 20-25 Packaging development Managers and Developers across Current business and Capabilities leadership
- Lead large scale talent acquisition and development programs serving the Coty Consumer Beauty Packaging organization, with the objective to attract, retain and develop the best talents in the industry.
- Co-lead Culture transformation program in line with Coty values to enable ambitions for Coty Consumer Beauty Packaging to be the best Packaging organization in the industry.
KEY PERFORMANCE INDICATORS
- Provide strategic direction for the NA R&D Packaging Development and a supporting road map of interventions, results, and skills to achieve it.
- Strengthen the integration of Packaging with R&D to ensure seamless development and execution of innovation.
- Build quality into Coty’s products from concept to execution to increase brand equity (share or survey) and reduced quality incidents (ppm)
- Increase the performance of the technical readiness for all initiatives (Gate performance)
- Sweeten Coty Inc. Consumer Division gross margin via total cost to serve of designs, materials and execution.
- Organization Assessment, Training and Talent Development as measured via Coty Insight and other Organization Health (i.e. bench strength)
- Develop a ready-now candidate to succeed him/her in 3 – 5 years.
- Serial innovator and trend setter, with a proven track record of delivery of industry winning innovations delivered to market with excellence across a range of industry leading brands.
- Proven track record of bringing outside innovation in, acting like a start-up and leveraging the best of the outside into winning market innovations.
- Experience of large brand portfolio management across price/consumer tiers and categories
- Proven track record of having built significant organisational capability having led to industrial competitive advantage
- Proven track record in having led and developed culturally diverse organisations, having personally driven Cultural change programs, and having developed and grown a pipeline of leaders
- Ideally experience in leading significant organisational shifts, ideally including several of the following: divestitures, integration of acquisitions, site consolidations / closures, new organisations creation
- Capacity and capability to manage and to conduct change management is crucial for this position. This requires a systematic and structure review of the situations, ability to be close to the teams while staying focused on the big picture.
- Ability to manage complexity and to deal with flexible requests.
- Genuine personal charisma, which combined with technical mastery allow gaining immediate credibility and rapidly be recognized by the teams and Coty.
- Experience in various positions of technical management, working in a range of different cultures and businesses (with a strong background in consumer products, beauty business) and have experienced matrix organization run by shared leadership models.