Description and Responsibilities
Support the North American Liquid and Dry Beverage Business Units in packaging related initiatives. Work with other Engineers on key projects. This position requires strong knowledge in Packaging and Project Management. The Engineer will be required to created accurate and detailed budgets, interact fluently with suppliers and the internal customers, follow through with the purchase order process, write, attend and report on the Factory Acceptances Tests and provide their opinion that will assist the group and company to move forward in achieving their goals. Personnel Safety and Food Safety design standards will lead priority in all projects.
The Packaging Engineer also has the responsibility to analyze packaging components and materials, performing experimental tests, identifying problems, recommending improvements, and writing specifications to ensure package integrity. This position will concurrently support multiple projects at one or more facilities throughout the organization and report to the Director of Engineering, or as assigned
- Evaluate current packaging and create cost improvement strategies for both existing and new package designs
- Collaborates with Purchasing and suppliers to assist with researching new types of packages, identify new and innovative test methodology and research, and various types of equipment for testing.
- Review preliminary production samples, and provide feedback to vendors on improvements
- Identify continuous improvement opportunities within the Packaging Engineering Group; may include preparing written policies and procedures.
- Develop effective presentations (verbal and written) for all levels of the organizations to sell ideas and report on projects.
- Knowledge of packaging and shipping test methods to assure packaging performance meets shipping stresses
- Execute packaging experiments and plant trials
- Be knowledgeable of packaging equipment/machinery capabilities and actively participates in equipment selection process and evaluation
- Write packaging and/or raw material portion of new or revises existing finished product specifications
- Knowledge of food packaging principles, food industry quality and food safety requirements, ingredient performance and interactions with equipment,
- Ensure that finished package meets specification or standards for food safety, and overall sanitation procedures and practices are meeting specification or standards
- Identify ways to improve efficiency in the packaging process
- Keep current on relevant packaging trends and equipment
- Bachelor’s Degree in Packaging Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, or similar technical discipline with a minimum of 7+ years in the Food/Beverages/Pharma industry focusing on packaging.
- Able to communicate effectively and efficiently with all levels of the organization both in written and verbal communication.
- Experience in flexible packaging machine operations.
- Problem solving, and decision-making skills are necessary.
- Must be able to work independently and as part of a team. Must have good communication skills, orally and in writing.
- Must be able to manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Must be able to demonstrate project management skills and experience; project management certification a plus.
- Aseptic packaging experience is a plus
- CAD Experience preferred at an intermediate level or better.
- Experience with Microsoft programs (project, Word, Excel, Outlook, etc.)
- 10-key and moderate typing skills required.
Requisition ID 2018-12984