See what being an Advanced Practice Provider can do for UPMC and what UPMC can do for Advanced Practice Providers - it's more than just a job!
UPMC Cancer Centers is hiring a full-time Physician Assistant or Certified Registered Nurse Practitioner to help support the Northwest Medical Oncology Department. This position will work Monday through Friday daylights primarily outpatient with some alternating inpatient rounding, evaluating, and treating hematology and oncology patients. What Can You Bring to UPMC?
What UPMC Can Do for You:
- Contribute to UPMC's mission of Life Changing Medicine
- Set the standards for the level and quality of care for the care delivery team
- Provide patient care activities for a group of patients and their families through the application of independent judgment, communication and collaboration with all team members.
- Establish and maintain collaborative relationships with physicians, other health care providers, patients and their families, to achieve desired patient outcomes throughout the continuum of care.
- Demonstrate a commitment to the community and to your health care profession
- A career path that provides you with the right experience to be successful in the position you want to obtain now and, in the future
- Health and welfare benefits like medical, vision, dental, and life and disability, and an exceptional retirement program
- Work life balance to help manage other importance aspects of your life such as: PTO, wellness programs, paid parental leave
- Competitive pay for the work that you do - base pay, merit, and premium pay
The Staff Advanced Practice Provider (APP) is a Physician Assistant or Certified Registered Nurse Practitioner and a member of the care delivery team. The Staff APP is responsible to set the standards for the level and quality of care. The Staff APP has responsibility, authority and accountability for the provision of care through supervision by and collaboration with a physician. The Staff APP manages and provides patient care activities for a group of patients and their families through the application of independent judgment, communication and collaboration with all team members. The role of the Staff APP encompasses the beginnings of leadership, partnership, collaboration and supervision. The Staff APP establishes and maintains collaborative relationships with physicians, other health care providers, patients and their families, to achieve desired patient outcomes throughout the continuum of care. The Staff APP begins to demonstrate a commitment to the community and to their healthcare profession.
The successful candidate will be placed according to years and months of experience for employment purposes.Responsibilities:
- Actively engages in clinical development of all members of the healthcare team.Requests opportunities to learn advanced professional practice techniques from senior healthcare team members.Seeks, accepts and utilizes performance feedback from peers, preceptors and unit/department Leaders as a learning opportunity and to improve practice.Demonstrates enthusiasm for continuous learning and identifies and creates a plan for the continuation of learning and development.Identifies patient and family needs for education and provides basic education to support the episode of care.Seeks professional development and involvement through membership in a professional organization and/or reading professional literature on a regular basis.
- Demonstrates the ability to communicate clearly and effectively with all members of the health care team.Begins to demonstrate awareness of cultural diversity, horizontal violence and impairment in the health professions.Cares for patients and self by supporting safety in the workplace.
- Demonstrates accountability for professional development that improves the quality of professional practice and the quality of patient care.Makes recommendations for the improvement of clinical care and the health of the workplace and welcomes and participates in change initiatives.Leads by investing and building healthy relationships among colleagues and other disciplines.Shows the ability to set priorities.Begins to serve as an engaged member of a team supporting colleagues in service to patients and families and may participate in task forces or other initiatives.
- Demonstrates a basic knowledge of research, how it affects practice and who/what resources are available to assist with evidence based practice by asking questions, demonstrating interest, participating in journal clubs.Clinical practice demonstrates knowledge of how quality and innovation impacts patient satisfaction, safety, and clinical quality outcomes.Identifies opportunities for improvement on the clinical area.
- Applies basic professional practice knowledge and skills appropriate for practice setting.Communicates effectively, both verbally and in documentation.Demonstrates critical thinking in all areas of professional practice.Learns to incorporate acceptable standards of professional practice as well as business unit and health system's goals to improve patient safety, quality and satisfaction.Formulates a plan of care that considers individual patient needs.Demonstrates initiative and seeks formal and informal opportunities to improve clinical practice. Seeks guidance and asks questions to continuously improve professional practice.Builds relationships with patient, families and colleagues.Identifies ethical situations within patient care or within the workplace and seeks assistance.Professionally accepts assignments that gradually increase patient load and complexity.
Special Skills and Abilities Required:
- Demonstrate the knowledge and skills necessary to provide care and/or interact appropriately to the patients served as specified below
- Demonstrate knowledge of the principles of growth and development over the life span
- Possess the ability to assess data reflective of the patient's status and interpret the appropriate information needed to identify each patient's requirements relative to his/her age-specific needs
- Provide the care needs as described in the department policy and procedures
- Ability to establish and maintain positive, caring relationships with executives, managers, physicians, non-physician providers, ancillary and support staff, other departments, and patients/families
- Ability to work productively and effectively within a complex environment
- Handle multiple/changing priorities and specialized equipment
- Critical thinking, analytical and problem-solving abilities required as related to various aspects of patient care
- Good clinical judgment
- Critical thinking skills necessary to exercise and lead others in application of acceptable standards of practice
- Mobility and visual manual dexterity
- Physical stamina for frequent walking, standing, lifting and positioning of patients
This position is dependent upon successful attainment and maintenance of hospital privileges, if applicable to the Business Unit practice. Licensure, Education, Certifications, and Clearances
- The successful completion of an approved nurse practitioner program is required
- BSN, MSN is preferred
- Professional nursing experience and/or nurse practitioner experience is preferred
- Current state RN license and CRNP certification are required
- National certification, eligible for licensure by Pennsylvania board of nursing, eligible for certification as a CRNP by Pennsylvania state board of nursing
- Current CPR certification is required
- Act 34 Clearance required
- A graduate of a physician assistant program accredited by the Accreditation Review Commission on Education for the physician assistant (ARC-PA) is required
- BS or MS candidate is preferred
- Experience as a physician assistant and/or experience in a clinical setting is preferred
- Current state PA license certified by the National Commission on Certification of Physician Assistants (NCCPA) is required
- Current CPR certification is required
- Act 34 Clearance required
UPMC is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Disability/Veteran
More than just competitive pay and benefits, our Total Rewards package cares for you in all areas of life. Designed to help you achieve your goals, Total Rewards support our belief that you're at your best when you're receiving the support you need in all areas of life: professional, personal, financial, and more.
No matter where we work or what we do, we're driven by common values that guide our work and keep us accountable to one another. UPMC's values of Quality & Safety , Dignity & Respect , Caring & Listening , Responsibility & Integrity , Excellence & Innovation play a vital role in creating a cohesive, positive, experience for our employees, patients, health plan members, and community. Ready to join us? Apply today.