P&C Insurance Business Systems Manager
8 - 10 years experience •
P&C Insurance Business Systems Manager. Monterey, CA.
Frequently mentioned by Ward?s as one of the Top 58 Best Financial Performers in the U.S. Private Sector.
Reporting to the COO a team will be built around this person.
Salary $135-$155k + two bonuses on top of salary.
One is based on your personal performance (to 15%).
One is based on company performance (to 20%).
Few key points for consideration:
- Experience in the P&C insurance industry (knowledge) - as this person / team will be on the business side of the house, they need to have a reasonably strong to strong understanding of the business and how it works. That does not mean having been an UW or Product person, but when we are talking about enhancing our CMP product, they won't stare at us dumbfounded.
- More than just IT (skill) - while these candidates may have worked in IT their entire careers, they can't have been in the back room the whole time (developers). There needs to be business interaction so they know how to interact with both IT and the business folks.
- Business analysis AND Project Management (skill/knowledge) - these folks, especially the manager, must be able to employ both of these in this role. Even if the PMO may lead project management efforts, this team must understand that process, support it, and execute through it.
Provides strategic direction and functional leadership for technological solutions required by the Insurance Operations organization, including policy administration, billing, sales and customer portal solutions. Provides business leadership for technological initiatives, working with program managers and their teams throughout the development and delivery process, including implementation, maintenance, customer service, end-user systems training and quality control. Helps to ensure data integrity, processing capabilities, and consistency in approach to support achievement of departmental and company business plan objectives.
The Business Systems Manager is a ?working supervisor? who is responsible for estimating, planning and supervising the resources assigned to projects within his/her program. This is a critical position that requires effective planning, teamwork and collaboration and experienced managerial skills to develop and implement cost effective solutions to meet business needs and requirements. It also requires exceptional personnel leadership and motivational skills.
This position supervises the overall business portfolio and prioritization process. Has formal leadership responsibilities for Product Business Analysts within the Business Systems organization. Accountable for a defined budget.
1. Provides strategic leadership for automation strategies for Insurance Operations? system development and implementation. Communicates, advocates and evangelizes the strategic direction to both internal and external customers.
2. Provides business leadership for technology initiatives and related project management activities; anticipates implementation obstacles and develops strategies to overcome collaboratively with technology leadership.
3. Defines initiative success criteria, both quantitative and quantitative, from a business value delivered perspective.
4. Plans, develops and organizes feedback mechanisms to assure quality control and systems? ability to meet or exceed customer expectations.
5. Counsels and advises Insurance Operations staff, external customers and vendors on systems capabilities and business benefits.
6. Leads bidirectional inter- and intra-departmental communication related to system needs, benefits and delivery schedule.
7. Selects, develops, motivates and otherwise leads a high-performing and effective Insurance Operations Business Systems organization, at both the team and individual level.
8. Improves processes throughout the organization to increase the level and quality of service provided to internal and external customers through Insurance Operations and its technology.
Qualifications, Education & Experience:
? BS degree in Business, Computer science or related field, or its equivalent and continuing education related to the job
? 7 to 10 years of related work experience in commercial lines underwriting systems, to include systems project management, with demonstrated achievements and progressive responsibilities.
? Thorough knowledge of all functions performed by Insurance Operations? staff, including underwriting, rating, agency automation, sales, billing and customer service activities
- Proven ability to assemble, mentor and grow cross-functional teams
- Strong English communication skills through written and verbal communication, with technical and non-technical audiences, including executives and customers
- Ability to promote and foster teamwork and a collaborative work-environment
- Ability to mentor and develop staff
- Strong problem solving and problem identification skills to Identify and mitigate obstacles and conflicts in advance