The Corporate Systems Manager is responsible for carrying out and maintaining the directives of the company in a manner consistent with Company and Departmental guidelines, visions, mission statements and objectives. This position reports directly to a Director. The Manager is responsible for planning and managing an Information Technology (IT) development or IT support team that has the responsibility of business application strategy, maintenance, analyzing new systems development and enhancements to support the operational mainframe and or client/server operating systems of the corporation. The Corporate IT Manager is responsible for managing a team that monitors system performance, creates business/systems requirements, analyzes, develops, designs and codes software, performs system testing methodology, trains internal and external customers and provides internal and external customer/plan support.
PRINCIPAL ACCOUNTABILITIES: Under the general supervision of a Director the manager’s accountabilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
1. Manages staffing requirements within the team to ensure that each is consistent and adequate to meet the division’s strategic objectives. Ensures primary and backup support resources are identified, trained, and in place for the current production applications. Ensures that all production application processing executes effectively in order to meet the day-to-day needs of the business on a 24x7 basis. Plans, coordinates, and supervises activities related to maintaining, supporting, and enhancing production-mode applications that utilize a broad range of technologies and platforms. Provide governance over development projects that will introduce new or modified applications to the production environment to ensure the application is “production ready” and adequately transitioned. Ensures the successful completion of corporate projects by monitoring the projects, and managing competing priorities to support the corporate systems’ objectives on time, within budget.
2. Evaluates performance of each team member, generates development plans and sets goals within the context of the corporate policy. Must also motivate, coach, counsel and develop team members within the context of the corporate policies and manages the team’s budget. Ensures that staff has appropriate tools and training.
3. Communicates with Directors and other Corporate management to plan and implement Division Strategic Objectives. The manager also communicates with other IT and client personnel as well as vendors, consultants, auditors, other Blue Cross and Blue Shield Plans, Blue Cross Blue Shield Association (BCBSA), the FEP Director’s Office (FEPDO), and the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) to coordinate and implement system projects and enhancements. Attend management sessions to ensure that the team’s operation and long-range goals are coordinated within the larger framework of department, divisional and corporate initiatives. Establishes and enforces service levels agreements (SLAs) in consultation with end users to establish problem resolution expectations and timeframes. Oversees the activities of outside contractors engaged in application support and/or development activities.
4. Establishes and enforces continuous process improvement practices through the use of concepts such as Knowledge Management, Root-Cause-Analysis, and performance metrics. Researches technical, business and theoretical developments in the field to ensure that customers are receiving the most effective support to meet their business objectives.
This position is also subject to being "on call" for emergency situations requiring immediate resolution. This position is subject to a Level 6C security requirement.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITY: Responsible for exempt staff of IT personnel and IT support staff, including but not limited to IT programming positions, IT support staff such as Business Analysts, Testers and Project Managers, for all strategic corporate initiatives.
SCOPE DATA: This position reports directly to the Director. The Manager is directly accountable for quality and cost-effective development and maintenance of various mission-critical systems and/or programs at CareFirst. Manager is also directly accountable for the professional well being and development of associates within the team. Develops performance plans, and training and development plans for the associates. Provides for staffing needs such as hiring, salary adjustments, development and training, performance management, and corrective action according to company policies and procedures. The Manager is also accountable for establishing a customer service culture within the team in order to maximize the potential for delivering quality products and services.
Required: This position requires a bachelor’s degree with a minimum of eight years of IT or business/systems background, OR equivalent work experience. Experience in full life cycle project management and leadership. Proven ability to budget, organize and manage teams. Assist with project management on multiple projects. Must be able to teach, develop, and motivate associates. At least 5 years of management experience (with a minimum of 2 direct reports), including proven expertise in scope management and multi-team leadership. Experience in supporting a broad range of technologies and application platforms.
The key core technologies and the associated technical skills are listed below.
- Oracle EBS Application Architecture
- Oracle EBS DatabaseArchitecture
- Oracle Cloud Services
- SOA/Tibco Web Services
- ODI / Informatica
- Hyperion Essbase
- Technical Skills:
- Java Framework – ADF, OAF, JSP
- SOA – Java Web Services and Tibco Web Services, SOAP, WSDL, WS-*
- Scripting – PLSQL, SQL, XML
- Databases – Oracle, SQLServer
- ETL Development
- Oracle BI Publisher, OBIEE, OACS
- Oracle EBS Suite R12.1+ - GL, AP, AR, FA, CE, FAH, PO
- Microsoft Office – Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Project, Visio
- Abilities/Skills: Prior experience with technologies or systems related to the department’s core activities. Must have extensive experiences with specific functionaries such as business/systems analysis, software design and development, software testing and training. Must have excellent written and verbal communication, interpersonal and analytical, and problem-solving skills. Must have the ability to negotiate and manage customer relationships and expectations. Experience with large-scale systems implementation projects, preferably in all phases of the systems development life cycle. Experience in collaborative team leadership.
- Preferred: Broad knowledge of CareFirst organization and operations. Experience with other tools specific to the area managed. Extensive Personal Computer (PC) skills including Microsoft Office software such as Word, EXCEL, MS Project and PowerPoint are preferred along with Oracle EPM.
- Note: The incumbent is required to immediately disclose any debarment, exclusion, or otherevent that makes him/her ineligible to perform work directly or indirectly on Federal health care programs.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The associate is primarily seated while performing the duties of the position. Occasional walking or standing is required. The hands are regularly used to write, type, key and handle or feel small controls and objects. The associate must frequently talk and hear. The functions of this position may also require physical activity such as bending, stooping and kneeling, as well as lifting equipment of weights up to 50 lbs. Travel between all CareFirst locations may be required.
Must be eligible to work in the U.S. without Sponsorship