General Atomics (GA), and its affiliated companies, is one of the world's leading resources for high-technology systems development ranging from the nuclear fuel cycle to remotely piloted aircraft, airborne sensors, and advanced electric, electronic, wireless and laser technologies.
General Atomics Electromagnetic Systems (GA-EMS) designs and manufactures first-of-a-kind electromagnetic and electric power generation systems. GA-EMS' expanding portfolio of specialized products and integrated system solutions support critical fleet, space systems and satellites, missile defense, power and energy, and process and monitoring applications for defense, industrial, and commercial customers worldwide.
We have an exciting opportunity for an Opto-Mechanical Engineer to join our team in Rancho Bernardo, CA. With consultative direction, this position exercises considerable latitude in determining technical objectives for the review, research, design, development, and/or solution(s) for a designated engineering system(s) or project(s)/program(s). Functioning in an advisory or leadership role participates in the planning and oversight of the successful resolution and implementation of engineering problem(s) and provides direction and guidance to professional and support staff. Formulates technical plans, typically multi-year, for solution(s) development, documentation, and deployment of the engineering solution (s), as well as responsible for meeting various compliance, reporting, and safety standards. Evaluates the integration of the engineering solution within the overall engineering environment; and responsible for planning/overseeing documentation, testing, maintenance, and engineering updates. Communicates with engineering professionals, solution users, and management throughout the solution development cycle; represents the company as a prime technical contact on assigned system(s) or project (s)/program(s); selects, motivates, and develops professional and support staff; interacts with senior internal and external personnel on technical matters requiring coordination between the organizations; anticipates future engineering needs; and, develops new or expands existing business opportunities.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Formulate plans and guide the development and implementation of engineering solution(s) including design, procurement, assembly and testing, deployment including integration, resource requirements, documentation, compliance and safety.
- Utilize optical testing methodologies and equipment.
- Provide hands on technical design support to the projects using Solidworks CAD software for design, along with analysis software (e.g. ANSYS, SigFit, etc.) to supplement hand calculations for heat transfer, structural, model analyses, and the resultant optical changes.
- Address complex and difficult technical issues requiring highly creative approaches, drawing on advanced engineering concepts.
- Support the engineering staff in the analysis, investigation and resolution of routine engineering problems.
- Plan and coordinate the maintenance of engineering solutions including, documentation, reporting, publishing, and making technical and other presentations to ensure viability of the solution(s) in an evolving/dynamic environment.
- Performs other duties as assigned or required.
We recognize and appreciate the value and contributions of individuals with diverse backgrounds and experiences and welcome all qualified individuals to apply.
- Typically requires a bachelors degree, masters degree or PhD in engineering or a related technical discipline from an accredited institution and progressive engineering experience as follows; fifteen or more years of experience with a bachelors degree, thirteen or more years of experience with a masters degree, or ten or more years with a PhD. May substitute equivalent engineering experience in lieu of education.
- Must have experience with Opto-Mechanical engineering.
- Active DoD Secret Security Clearance is required
- Candidates must have experience with precision/stable mounting of optical components, as well as a thorough understanding of heat transfer, structural mechanics and dynamics of optical systems.
- Must have understanding of mechanical hardware design and fabrication techniques.
- Previous experience with optical systems is required, space systems, flight systems, or military systems is desired.
- Experience in thermal management and fluid mechanics is desired.
- Demonstrates a detailed and extensive technical expertise and application of engineering principles, concepts, theory, and practice with the ability to organize, plan, schedule, conduct, and coordinate workloads to meet established deadlines or milestones with some experience in project leadership. In addition, must have demonstrated experience in fluid systems and fluid flow analysis, heat transfer, hardware design and fabrication, and technical leadership experience.
- Must possess: (1) the ability to understand new concepts quickly and apply them accurately throughout an evolving environment; (2) strong communication, presentation, and interpersonal skills to effectively interface with other departments, customers, government representatives, and/or professionals; (3) and the ability to provide leadership and guidance to less experienced professionals.
- Experience with analysis tools, CAD and FEA software packages such as Matlab, Solidworks, Creo, ANSYS and SigFit.