Optics Engineer for Illumination Design
Responsible for researching, planning, and designing electro-optical products and systems; Directs and coordinates activities involved in design, fabrication, operation, application, testing, and production; Performs engineering work assisting senior-level engineers on major projects; Applies engineering principles developing, testing and modifying designs.
The Optical Engineer for Illumination design must have experience with modeling and using light emitting diodes (LEDs) in the visible with IR wavelengths being a plus. This engineer should have design experience with non-imaging optics, light pipes, color mixing optics and diffusers as well as collection optics including conventional lenses and TIR lenses. Design experience with light and image projection systems a plus. Designs, executes, and tests to collect statistically significant data to define technical specifications and product requirements. Researches, assesses, and validates technology choices and capabilities that may be leveraged by the applications. Candidate must be able to complete product sub-assemblies within a given project time frame. Supports projects as a hands-on contributor using technical and administrative skills to oversee and complete engineering projects.
- 3+ years’ experience in designing, modeling and testing of illumination and projection systems using sequential and non-sequential ray tracing. Familiarity with polarization, scatter, contrast, and light scattering modeling.
- Collaborates through to design validation and verification tests of the system requirements, and carries out these tests to reach written conclusion.
- Use of computer-based data acquisition and processing; A working knowledge of statistics for data characterization and hypothesis testing is required.
- Experience with TracePro optical simulation tool or other similar tools.
- Hands on test experience and familiarity with the optical test equipment including Goniophotometers and Integrating Spheres
Education and/or Experience:
Bachelor's degree (B. A.) from four-year college or university; and Master’s degree in related field; plus 3+ years of design experience.