The Optical Systems Test Engineer will spend >75% of their time in the lab performing experiments on the optical platforms that go into Omniome’ s DNA sequencers. The individual will integrate electrical, optical, and mechanical components into sub-assemblies for full system integration and test. The sub-systems including; High NA fluorescent imaging optics, Sample motion control and vibration isolation systems.
- Develop comprehensive understanding of system function and metrics
- Design and execute verification and validation testing
- Provide data-driven feedback on system performance
- Troubleshoot design issues and advise designers on improvements
- Collaborate with in-house and outsourced engineering partners on the design and fabrication of instrument
- Initiate and track ECO processes
- Other responsibilities may be added as business conditions arise
- Position will have expanding duties and responsibilities
EDUCATION, SKILLS, & EXPERIENCE:
- BS in Optical Engineering, or related engineering field.
- 6+ years Optical System Engineering experience or close equivalent
- High level of hands-on experience
- High level of data analysis tools for assessing image quality, motion control performance and vibration isolation
- High level of data presentation and documentation skills
- High level of troubleshooting skills
- Former experience in ECO management: initiation, tracking, etc.
- Good understanding of optical design with ZEMAX preferred
- Good CAD understanding of opto-mechanical design with SolidWorks preferred
- Good understanding of motion control systems; translation stages, motors, and closed loop motor controllers.
ATTITUDE & ATTRIBUTES:
- Must be able to work independently, as well as a team player.
- Pro-active problem-solver with a desire to master complex subsystem interactions.
- Must have excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Motivation to improve systems and to accomplish projects in a timely manner.
- Must work cross-functionally between other divisions in the company.
- Comfortable with ambiguity in a fast-paced environment
- Able to sit or stand at a desk/table during a workday, while working with test fixtures.
- Able to work with repetitive movements based on mouse and keyboard, as well as using hand and power tools, during a workday.
- Able to lift, move, and hold parts while assembling systems.