The Oculus team at Facebook is helping people around the world come together and connect through world-class VR hardware and software. With global departments dedicated to VR research, computer vision, haptics, social interaction, and more, Oculus is committed to driving the state of the art forward through relentless innovation. VR’s potential to change the world is immense — and we’re just getting started.
We are currently seeking an innovative Optical Systems Integration Engineer in Hardware Product Development team with a passion for building up next generation near to eye display, viewing optics and imaging systems. Primary responsibility is working with development engineers and vendors to implement the proper assembly and evaluation of these next generation optical systems.
- Evaluate and characterize optical elements and assembled systems (both analytically and experimentally).
- Develop and execute new methods of characterization based on next-generation product requirements.
- Validate component and system maturity through development stages to MP.
- Identify issues and work with the team to improve design and implementation.
- Engage cross-functionally with engineering, manufacturing, technical operations, and automation teams to ensure optical module requirements are being met.
- Support automation teams on production test station implementation.
- Support modeling and prototyping for next-generation optics and displays.
- Willingness and ability to travel domestically and/or internationally up to 25% of the time.
- BS, MS or Ph.D. in Optical Sciences, Physics, Electrical Engineering or related degree
- 2+ years of experience, working on product development of optics, photonic and/or opto-mechanical systems (internship or thesis work may be substituted for industry experience)
- Knowledge of optics including, but not limited to, imaging, illumination, geometric optics, and statistics
- Experience in one or more optical design tools, such as Zemax, LightTools, FRED, or ASAP
- Interpersonal experience - cross-group and cross-culture collaboration
- Proven track record of increasing responsibilities and decision-making experience
- Proven track record developing technologies that have resulted in successful transition into high-volume consumer products
- DFx experience related to optical components or systems