We believe in the power of people. We are a network strategy and technology company that is motivated by making a difference in people’s lives – their productivity, their creativity, their health and comfort. That’s why our engineers design and implement technologies that allow people to do great things.
OPTICAL SYSTEM DESIGNER
OTTAWA, ONTARIO, CANADA
Ciena Corporation, the network specialist, offers leading networkinfrastructure solutions, intelligent software and a comprehensive services practice. Our portfolio of software-centric optical and Ethernet platforms combines network element programmability, operating system commonality and management unification, and Carrier Ethernet-based transformation to enable our customers to change the way they compete. Our solutions form the foundation of many of the largest, most reliable and sophisticated service provider, enterprise, government, and research and education networks across the globe.
The Agile Programmable Optical Transport R&D team responsible for the development of photonic hardware, photonic software and photonic system architecture. Within this team, the Lightwave Performance team is responsible for the optical performance and modeling.
This is an entry level position.
JOB DESCRIPTION & RESPONSIBILITIES
The responsibilities focus on the development of system performance models and associated analysis numerical tools:
- Develop models for digital coherent receivers and transmitters, optical amplifiers and ROADMs
- Contribute to the development of computationally efficient, accurate, optical performance simulators
- Quantify the performance of optical signals propagated through optical networks including Data Center interconnect, National scale network and trans-oceanic submarine cables
- Work with experimental team to define tests plans and analyze optical transmission results
- Apply models to real world optical links to produce a design that maximizes transmission capacity
- Understanding of optical systems, components, device physics, error analysis and statistics
- Strong Matlab programming skills
- Proficiency with C/C++ Programming recommended
- Basic knowledge of DSP modeling an asset
- Excellent technical writing ability and a passion for clear communication
- Bachelordegree in Physics, Engineering Physics or Electrical Engineering or is required. A post-graduate degree would be a strong asset.
- 0-2 years work experience