Optical Sensor Engineer - Exploratory Design Group
- Job Number: 113047327
- Santa Clara Valley, California, United States
- Posted: Sep. 18, 2017
- Weekly Hours: 40.00
This is a hands-on role, working on an optical science team within a highly multi-disciplinary group to demonstrate new optical sensor concepts. You will exercise both your technical breadth and your deep understanding of optical devices and systems.
- The ideal candidate will have 5+ total years of experience with optical and/or device physics, some industrial experience developing products based on new technology, and most of the following:
- Excellent grasp of optical physics fundamentals.
- Hands-on experience implementing and testing optical devices and systems.
- Experience constructing and validating models of optical devices, based on first principles and empirical data.
- Solid understanding of optical systems, laser and non-laser optical sources, and optical measurement techniques.
- Understanding of the impact of coherence on optical systems.
- Proficiency at C, Matlab, Python or similar programming.
- Experience with sequential and/or non-sequential ray-tracing, optical waveguide design, optical mode-solvers, or simulation of diffraction effects.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills.
- Ability to work well in a team environment.
As an Optical Sensor Engineer, you will: •Work with the team to invent, implement and validate optical sensor concepts. •Design, simulate, and specify optical devices and sub-systems to meet project requirements. •Work with external vendors to fabricate custom devices. •Characterize performance of optical devices, sub-systems and systems relative to project requirements. •Identify causal relationships between observed performance and design parameters. •Interpret empirical data and reconcile it with first-principles analytical and/or numerical simulations.
Masters degree or PhD in Physics, Applied Physics, Optics, EE, or related field is required.