The Optical Process Engineer is responsible for the process development for advanced hybrid integrated photonic package assemblies with silicon and indium phosphide ICs assembled in the Silicon Valley NPI cleanroom, producing products for ultra-pure light lasers and optoelectronic products that transmit, receive and switch the highest speed over distance digital optical signals for Cloud and hyper-scale data center internet content provider and telecom networks. This includes managing the process transfers of the newly developed products/processes to the ISO9001:2015 certified manufacturing sites in Asia, along with ongoing support of the CPD gate review process to ultimately achieve high quality, high yielding & low cost volume manufacturing. You will be directly responsible for developing all process documentation, tracking yield, investigating and reworking line fall outs, and conducting ongoing analysis of performance metrics. You will work closely with cross functional teams to meet daily production, safety, and quality targets.
· Develop optical components, optical interfaces and light coupling strategies with optical designers and lead the efforts of prototyping and testing optical device functions to validate initial product designs.
· Test and evaluate optical components from suppliers and make recommendations for product manufacturing.
· Develop and maintain specialized active alignment equipment capability for optical chips, free space components, and sub-system assemblies
· Provide solutions for optical related design including polarization related components, mode/angle matching of FAU butt-coupled devices, free space lens alignment, along with pitch matching for multi-channel devices.
· Develop active alignment processes that include FAU butt-coupling, lens active alignment and laser welding. Gain familiarity with the current stations, implementing new products, debugging and finding ways to improve the correlation between different machines and processes.
· Define and be responsible for process engineering KPIs (yield, scrap, etc.)
· Support day-to-day operations and be hands-on in problem solving, process development, and issue resolution
· Prioritize safety and quality through communication, action, and accountability
· Collaborate with other cross functional teams to improve product manufacturability and line productivity
· Drive development of new/innovative manufacturing processes from proof of concept through to full scale production that enable improved product performance, reliability and cost
· Characterize existing processes, establish controls for critical parameters, improve process robustness
· Execute DoEs to optimize process conditions
· Establish process controls for SPC and develop process related OCAPs
· Develop and manage PFMEA risk assessments to prioritize process improvement projects and ensure adequate metrology and controls are in place
· Debug process integration issues to ensure interactions between processes are kept under control
· Build process documentation to accurately define the process to cross-functional teams (equipment, quality, production, etc.)
· Bachelor's Degree with 10 years ,M.S with 5+ years, or Ph.D. with 3+ years experience in relevant field, or equivalent in experience and proof of exceptional abilities
· 5 to 10+ years’ relevant experience in interdisciplinary/integrated engineering, process development, manufacturing engineering, or equivalent.
· Strong understanding of engineering fundamentals and ability to apply them towards manufacturing process development
· Proficient in data analysis / interpretation and presentation of experimental data
· Proven problem solver - demonstrated experience of data driven root cause analysis, statistical software (JMP) a plus
· Demonstrated capabilities in manufacturing process development for new and unique products
· Experience in high volume manufacturing involving one or more of these areas is highly desired:
o Precision active lens alignment using Fincontec automated alignment stations
o Precision die bonding using Infotech auto die bonders
o Assembly with copper pillar bumped flip chips
o Underfill for flip chip applications
o Innovative methods for precision fiber to chip attachment
o High reliability, low cost, non-hermetic packaging
Valid through: 12/20/2021