As part of a small, passionate and accomplished team of experts, you will be the first line of support when the vehicle maintenance and operations teams encounter technical issues with the vehicle or ground software. A significant part of this effort will be developing an understanding of the interplay of the software and how the vehicles operate. The New Shepard Operations Software Manager will be responsible for coordinating all aspects of software interaction with Operations and will provide an Operations-focused technical review of software changes and decisions made by the New Shepard Software team. The job will be based in Kent with routine travel to the launch site in Texas. Additional responsibilities may be assigned depending on individual experience and qualifications. This position will directly impact the history of space exploration and will require your dedicated commitment to and detailed attention towards safe and repeatable human spaceflight.
- Serve as the primary point of contact for software technical matters in the New Shepard Operations and Maintenance group.
- Coordinate timing and content of software and network updates for flight and ground systems in cooperation with vehicle and ground managers and vehicle operators.
- Track current software and network configuration versions across the flight network.
- Define and manage operator console configurations.
- Participate in software and network verification and qualification.
- Participate in software change review and scope definition discussions to evaluate operational impacts.
- Work with vehicle and ground managers and the vehicle operators to define future software and network requirements and coordinate that development with the engineering teams.
- Own and maintain software-specific operations procedures and user interfaces.
- Provide software-specific training to operators.
- Provide direct front-line software technical support as needed.
- Work with engineering teams to resolve critical software or network anomalies and discrepancies.
- Provide operational feedback on software performance to the engineering teams as part of post-flight reviews.
- Qualify and act as back-up vehicle operator for non-hazardous operations.
- Support special projects as assigned.
- Minimum of a B.S. degree in engineering or equivalent experience.
- Strong coordination and project management skills. Must be able to track, manage and prioritize multiple simultaneous tasks and jobs.
- 5+ years of experience managing, writing, and testing software, preferably in an operational environment.
- Familiarity with python and C++.
- Familiarity with TCP/IP networking concepts.
- A proven track record of working successfully with multiple other disciplines, and the ability to evaluate technical recommendations from subject matter experts in a wide range of disciplines.
- Willing and available to travel to our West Texas Launch Site for each mission and between missions as needed to maintain the flight operations schedules.
- Must be a U.S. citizen or national, U.S. permanent resident (current Green Card holder), or lawfully admitted into the U.S. as a refugee or granted asylum.
- Experience with engineering support of field operations.
- Experience developing real-time embedded C++ applications.
- Familiarity with Matlab/Simulink