The Operations Shift Supervisor at the Blenheim-Gilboa Pumped Storage Power Project in Gilboa, NY is responsible for ensuring the safe, efficient, reliable and economic operation of NYPA assets contained at the assigned site(s). Manages the responsibility of the Operations Department consistent with the policies, procedures and overall objectives of the Authority and all regulatory agencies during an assigned shift. During non-routine work hours, is the senior management representative on site and may temporarily assume the role of the Facility Manager as required to deal with emergent plant conditions. Provides managerial oversight and leadership during the off-shifts, assigns maintenance and support personnel in response to issues/concerns, provides an active interface to other departments and facilities and makes proper notification for equipment problems and other incidents.
- Provide direct first line supervision of Operations personnel to ensure work assignments are satisfactorily and appropriately accomplished to maintain operations within permitted limits for air, water and emissions. Foster teamwork and cooperation within Operators and between Operators, management, contractors and support staff.
- Remain current on operating procedures to recognize and respond to urgent and emergency situations. Take action necessary to ensure plant and employee safety and to react with steps necessary to return the operating system to normal. Make all required notifications during an event.
- Create a safe job atmosphere and to be point of contact to resolve any issues that might come up.
- Actively promote, support and participate in all NYPA safety programs. Provide safety leadership and act as a safety and environmental resource on all shifts.
- Supervise daily inspections of the facility.
- Oversee and manage response(s) to all abnormal conditions. Provide technical leadership to the operators including initial analysis of disturbances and forced outages. Begin initial incident investigations and assist with formal reports.
- Ensure plant operators communicate and work effectively with ERM and ECC to report plant status, ensure reliability and follow generation schedules.
- Assist in reviewing and updating operating procedures including Clearance and Protection Procedure, line orders, bulletins and memorandums.
- Review all clearance requests and switching orders to ensure correctness. Assist operators with complicated switching procedures and conduct clearance and switching audits.
- Coordinates with maintenance program to identify defective equipment and submit work requests, assign priority level to corrective maintenance work. Coordinate planning, scheduling and testing with project managers to expedite return-to-service of critical equipment.
- Plan and execute planned and forced outage work.
- Perform return to service equipment inspections after major overhauls or installation of new equipment.
- Provide on the job training exercises to operators and maintain records of training.
- Perform other assignments and duties as assigned to improve results such as increased reliability, increased revenue or decreased cost for NYPA.
- Identify and take action to address disciplinary matters related to operations staff.
- Perform supportive work, such as procedure writing, outage planning, program development and implementation and other tasks as directed by the Operation Manager.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Ability to analyze and react quickly to complex, severe and unexpected plant events in order to protect assets, maintain production and to prevent injury to personnel, damage to equipment, or violations of environmental regulations.
- Ability to lead groups and influence others.
- Strong leadership and interpersonal relationship skills to foster a cohesive work force.
- Ability to organize and present budgetary requirements
- Requires understanding of boiler chemistry and its relationship to proper operation of HRSG's and the associated effects on the steam turbine and other plant equipment. Must understand the corrective actions required for keeping chemistry balanced and accurate.
- Basic understanding of electrical circuit troubleshooting and problem solving.
- Requires computer skills and applications understanding of Microsoft Office products (Word, Excel, Outlook) and SAP to meet job expectations at the administrative level.
- Computer and electronic skills including digital control systems and programmable logic controllers.
- Ability to identify, logically analyze and generate solutions to complex technical and operational problems.
- Ability to multitask and prioritize assignments. Establish daily work priorities, planning assignments, allocating resources, organizing and managing work.
- Good verbal and written communication skills to deliver various presentations and critical material to NYPA senior management and applicable personnel from outside agencies as well as clearly deliver instructions to operators.
- Working knowledge of NYPA and facility operating procedures and regulatory policies.
- Understanding of interface with electric grid and requirements of NYISO.
- Self-motivated and proactive to remain informed of changes in equipment, policies and personnel.
- Ability to write clear and concise logs
- Ability to write clear, concise and comprehensive Root Causes of equipment failures.
Education, Experience and Certifications
- Associates degree in electrical or mechanical engineering OR
- Completion of the NYPA operations apprenticeship and five years' experience as a senior operator, OR
- Bachelor's degree in related field of work, or progress toward degree with related experience is preferred.
- Minimum 10 years utility experience with working knowledge of assigned facility operations (see below)
- NERC Certification must be obtained within 2 years.
- Minimum 10 years working with high voltage breakers (480V-4160V) and switchgear operations (13.8KV-138KV).
- Prior experience supervising a workforce in the related field required.
- Ability to access all areas of the plant and conduct physical evaluations of grounds and equipment including ability to climb and work at high elevations.
- Ability to perform physically demanding work while wearing a respirator.
- Ability to work a 24/7 rotating 8 or 12 hour shift schedule, occasionally extending to 16 hours
- Able to lift/move objects weighing in excess of 40lbs