Responsible for developing optimization solutions for routing and scheduling. Provides strategic direction for functional area around engineering concepts, practices, and procedures to analyze, identify performance improvement opportunities, and/or implement technology systems that meet business objectives.
- Interfaces with stakeholders to identify relevant industry problems.
- Analyzes and provides leadership with multi-disciplinary team of professionals to solve difficult industry problems.
- Researches new technologies and/or monitors and evaluates existing technology for improvement opportunities to support technology life cycle.
- Proposes efficient solution methodologies.
- Supports and leads in the ongoing evolution and maintenance of solution methodologies.
- Formulates solution approach and the underlying mathematical model to address needs defined by the Product Management team.
- Owns the design, developing, testing, and tuning of models to ensure they meet expected performance and provide results that are acceptable to the business owner.
- Works closely with Development teams to transfer technology and techniques to ensure the prototype is successfully transitioned to the production environment.
- Responds to support and change requests as business needs evolve over time.
- Supports all company technology standards to ensure reliable operations.
- Maintains strategic relationships with suppliers and/or technologies that meet company needs and standards.
- Prepares accurate statements of work and financial justification analysis.
- Master’s degree in Operations Research, Statistics, Applied Mathematics, Computer Science, or a related field
- Ph.D. in Operations Research, Statistics, Applied Mathematics, Computer Science, or a related field preferred
- 5+ years building models and developing algorithms for mathematical programming
- 5+ years researching and building optimization based solutions
- 2+ years object oriented programming (C++ preferred)
- 2+ years utilizing commercial optimization solvers (e.g. CPLEX, DASH, Gurobi) and software profiling and memory management tools
- 5+ years industry experience with demonstrated business impact in reducing logistics or resource scheduling costs through the application of optimization models preferred
- 5+ years industry experience designing/building/testing optimization models forecasting systems and business metrics preferred
- Experience teaching and mentoring other scientists and software engineers preferred
- Experience in prototyping and developing software in the Java programming language
- Experience in multi-process, multi-threaded optimization implementations
- Demonstrated knowledge in the following: theories of optimization including linear programming, mixed-integer programming and network modeling
- Strong communication skills, to include verbal, written, and presentation, for interaction with senior management and colleagues, as well as cross functional teams
- Demonstrates system engineering/analytical/problem solving skills
Physical Demands and Working Conditions
The physical demands are representative of those that must be met by an employee to perform the essential function to this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Incumbent must be prepared to:
- Move up to 10 pounds occasionally, by lifting, carrying, pushing, pulling, or otherwise repositioning objects.
- Sitting for long periods of time while using office equipment such as computers, phones and etc.
- Fingering and Repetitive motions; such as movement of wrists, hands and fingers while picking, pinching and typing during your normal working environment.
- Express or exchange ideas with others through the use of spoken word, quickly, accurately, and at an easily audible volume, and receive detailed information through oral communication at usual speaking levels without correction, and/or make fine discriminations in the nature of sounds in the environment.
Incumbent is required to have:
- Close visual acuity to perform detail oriented activities at distances close to the eyes, as well as visual acuity to perform activities at or within arm’s reach with skill, control, and accuracy, such as preparing and analyzing data, viewing computer screen and expansive reading.
Incumbent will be subject to:
- Inside working conditions: The change of building environment such as with or without air conditioning and heating.