The R&D Manager will lead the development of new solutions to support new product request development, improve current solutions and insource solution that currently are done by partners.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Conduct analytical analysis and research of available solution and technologies worldwide.
- Articulate and present these analysis to a wide knowledge level group and get agreement on path forward.
- Design mechanical Jigs and Fixtures that yield solutions to specific workflow applications within individual manufacturing processes.
- Documents in the form of mechanical drawings, to specified engineering standards, a range of applications including material specs, equipment layouts, & mechanical designs. Acquires sign-off approvals on all documentation prior to distribution.
- Lead implementation of processes and solutions across all Shutterfly manufacturing facilities.
- Work cross-functionally with a wide and diverse group. (e.g. Finance, Procurement, Supply Chain, Manufacturing, software Engineering, product managers, brand general managers, PMO, Lab PjM, R&D Project Manager, Technical Support, Training, Technical Writers, etc.)
- Coordinate development efforts with other department project managers to ensure smooth execution of testing and process improvement implementation.
- Communicate effectively with all departments and individuals through verbal and written means in order to properly obtain and convey pertinent content regarding all mechanical related items associated with assigned projects.
- Assist production in performing operations during peak season.
- To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Problem Solving – Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner.
- Highly developed communication and people skills.
- Managing by influence.
- To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience:
- Bachelor of Science degree, Mechanical Engineering (BSME), or equivalent, from a four-year College or technical school.
- At least 10 years related experience and/or training in the photographic, gifting, or imaging field; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience with project management, six sigma, lean manufacturing and change management. Experience in product development and testing.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals.
- Ability to write routine reports and correspondence.
- Effective communicator in both written and verbal communications.
- Technical writing skills are highly desirable.
- Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as statistics, dimensions, proportions, percentages, volume, equipment capacity & throughput, gear ratios, force, and Static/Dynamic physics.
- Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra, geometry and some calculus.
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form.
- Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
- Microsoft Suite: Outlook, Word, Excel & Power Point
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to stand, walk and use hands to finger, handle, or feel. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is frequently exposed to moving mechanical parts.