The Tower Operations Manager is responsible for strategic leadership, overall direction, and support of the Polymerization department. Proactively drives all aspects of the safety of associates, the quality of the product, and on time delivery expectations of the customer. This position leads all department employees- including production operators, team leader, process engineer and maintenance employees.
The successful candidate must have a passion for safety, be able to foster strong working relationships built upon trust and respect with direct reports, peers, and leaders, demonstrate the ability to motivate and train associates, and be viewed as a clear and creditable communicator and resource.
- Safety - Act as a safety leader within the facility. Ensures associates perform all functions of the job in a safe manner and promptly addresses any unsafe behaviors or conditions.
- Quality of Production - Troubleshoot and perform root cause analysis to identify and resolve problems.
- Production - Establish a work environment characterized by mutual trust and respect, open and honest communications, teamwork and a passion for winning. Develop plans to drive the plant to new levels of production, drive employee engagement, and provide employees with the tools to do the job.
- Manufacturing Variance – Tracks, analyzes and takes action to resolve labor, overhead and job variances.
- Inventory Accuracy – Ensure accurate inventory levels are maintained, and assist in root cause analysis for discrepancies uncovered during the cycle count process.
- Continuous Improvement - Act as a plant leader for the continuous improvement of costs, housekeeping, safety, environmental compliance, and inventory within the Polymerization department consistent with overall plant goals. Continually drive improvements with in the department that generate positive savings and contribute the profitability of the department.
- Act as the team leader for the Polymerization Best Practice team. Lead and set direction for project teams to identify process Improvements related to minimizing machine downtime, increasing production rates and reducing scrap.
- Design, improve, and implement new equipment and processes (includes, establishing project scope, anticipated gains, required resources, timelines, etc.) Act as primary contact with external vendors when needed for project implementation.
- ERP System Experience – Epicor a plus – Close manufacturing orders and respond to material short/overage issues in a timely manner. Address labor variances as needed.
- Work with the maintenance group to continually improve machine reliability and eliminate downtime by ensuring root cause analysis take place on all failures.
Requiredcompetencies and skills
- Excellent computer skills utilizing Microsoft Office software. Ability to manipulate spreadsheets, and create presentations that support the Internal Best Practice process.
- Strong leadership, teamwork, communication, and project management skills.
- Demand Flow/Leanexperience is a plus
- Ability to effectively interact at all levels of the organization. Must be able to translate engineering principles into practice and lead operator level training.
- Problem Solving, Decision Making, Initiating Action, Adaptability, Flexibility, Tolerance for stress
- Ability to effectively manage projects to drive continuous improvement which requires strong engineering, project management, and LEAN manufacturing skills.
- Knowledge of machinery and facility maintenance is a plus.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering.
- Six sigmablack belt or leanexperience along with successful 5S implementation experience is a plus
- Preferredpolymers manufacturing experience.
- Minimum 5 years in a production environment.