Position in the Organization
Reports to: Site Director
One Over Manager: Regional Operations Director, Surface Chemistry Americas Direct
Supervision of : Production Engineer
(4) Production Shift Supervisors
Supply Chain/Logistics Manager
Functional network: Site representative of the business unit to service units (CI, SCM, HR, Legal, HSE and PSRA, Finance and Control) at the Salisbury site. Work closely with site HR business partners and site HSE manager to ensure safe and effective operation of site.
Main Technologies: Solution Polymer Polymerizations. Solvent Recovery Systems, Solid/Liquid Separation, and Drying Technologies, Powder Handling and Processing, Monomer Intermediates.
Main Products: Cellulose Polyquaturnium Polymers, Acrylate based Polymers for Hair Spray and Hair Styling, Moisturizing Polymers for Skin Care Applications, and Sulfonated Polystyrene Polymers for Industrial Applications.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Responsible for HSES activities within operations
- Aid in developing yearly HSES targets, plans, and metrics for the site.
- Develop, promote, and execute 5S practices for the operations department at the site.
- Participate and complete incident investigations in a timely manner
- Ensure that safe operating procedures are developed where needed.
- Generate and complete safety related projects.
- Complete near miss and department safety inspections.
- Develop and ensure all safety policies are adhered to in the plant.
- Ensure all aspects of HSE programs such as PSM, RCRA, RC 14001, meet all operational requirements and generate continual improvements for these standards.
- Ensure operations meet all environmental and waste permit requirements and conditions.
- Participate on HAZMAT team for incident command status.
- Complete all required safety reviews for equipment and processes.
- Participate and ensure PSM Champion for Employee Participation and Operating Procedures, Safe Work Practices, Conduct of Operations, and participates on PHAs as planned.
- Operations department is represented in on-going process hazard analysis.
- Ensure all operational safety related policies and procedures are kept up to date.
- Participate in HSES activities directed by management/supervision or as indicated in the HSES Annual Site Plan.
Responsible for supervision of operations personnel
- Develop needed standard operating procedures.
- Develop needed batch/continuous operating procedures.
- Ensure all policies and procedures for operations are adhered to.
- Oversee the Shift Supervisors for Production and their development, along with P&DD.
- Oversee and manage the Production Manager over operational planning coordination and performance.
- Ensure all direct reports actively participate in the P&DD process and use that process to improve individual employee performance and development.
- Actively use the Viewpoint survey process to target areas for improvement and manage action plans to address.
Responsible for production schedule
- Ensure production schedule is adhered to meet production outputs and customer order requirements as well as p-OTIF.
- Supervise to ensure all needed production inputs and inventories are set to ensure production schedule is met.
- Work with supply chain to ensure both safety stock levels are met and over stock levels are not exceeded for plant produced products.
Responsible for operations budget
- Oversee and analyze monthly FMC and Variable variance reports.
- Ensure plant controllable expenses are kept in-line with budget.
- Minimize the amount of overtime in the operating areas, as is feasible for a safe operation.
- Aid in development of yearly plant operating budget.
Process development and improvement
- Work with the Production Improvement Manager to evaluate production efficiencies.
- Work with Site Director to develop long term equipment requirements to meet sales and production outputs.
- Work with and support the optimization and continual improvement of production processes.
- Approve all new raw materials and products for site processes as part of the MOC process.
- Work with site technical team on all manufacturing related requirements of new product scale up.
- Work directly with the CIM in the use of Lean Six Sigma tools to drive improvements in cost and efficiency.
- Investigate all customer complaints and support QA investigations.
- Ensure all production aspects meet ISO and EFfCI GMP requirements.
- With QA, evaluate non-conforming and OOS metrics, and conduct investigations with RCPS with the goal of reducing non-conformances.
- Monitor production outputs to ensure quality metrics are met or exceeded.
- Ensure batch sheet suggestions and problem batch reports are being done and corrective actions implemented.
- Work with technical service group to ensure customer needs are met.
- Participate and provide input into SQC reviews.
Job requirements/Candidate profile
- Bachelor’s Degree in Chemical Engineering
- 5 – 10+ years Operations Management and/or related experience.
- Knowledge of ISO-9001, RC 14001, EFfCI GMP and SAP.
- Strong communication (both written and oral) and PC skills.
- MBA is a plus
- Lean/Six Sigma Certification a plus
- Prior supervisory experience required