The Operations Manager Lawn and Garden is responsible for strategic leadership, overall direction, and support of the Lawn and Garden (L&G) department.
The Operations Manager proactively drives all aspects of the safety of associates, the quality of the product, and on time delivery expectations of the customer.
The Operations Manager must have a passion for safety, be able to foster strong working relationships built on trust and respect with direct reports, peers, and leaders, demonstrate the ability to motivate and train associates, and be viewed as a clear and credible communicator and resource.
The Operations Manager-Lawn and Garden reports to the Vice President of Operations for the Applied Materials business unit in the Process Solutions Division of Newell Brands.
- Act as safety leader within the facility.
- Ensure Associates perform all functions of the job in a safe manner.
- Promptly addresses any unsafe behaviors or conditions.
QUALITY OF PRODUCTION:
Troubleshoot and perform root cause analysis to identify and resolve problems
- Establish a work environment characterized by mutual trust and respect.
- Maintain open and honest communications, teamwork, and a passion for winning.
- Develop plans to drive the plant to new levels of production.
- Drive employee engagement.
- Provide employees with the tools to do the job.
- Ensure accurate inventory levels are maintained.
- Assist in root cause analysis for discrepancies uncovered during the cycle count process.
- Act as a plant leader for the continuous improvement within the L&G department consistent with overall plant goals in the areas of:
- Environmental compliance
- Continually drive improvements within the department that generate positive savings and contribute to the profitability of the department.
- Act as the team leader for the Lawn & Garden Best Practice team.
- Lead and set direction for project teams to identify process improvements and minimize machine downtime.
- Design, improve, and implement new equipment and processes including:
- Establishment of project scope.
- Identification of anticipated gains.
- Enumeration of required resources.
- Defining timelines.
- Other project elements as required.
- Close manufacturing orders in the Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) system and respond to material shortage/overage issues in a timely manner.
- Address labor variances ad needed.
- Work with the maintenance group to continually improve machine reliability and eliminate downtime by ensuring root cause analysis takes place on all failures.
- Any other duties as assigned.
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering from a regionally accredited college or university required.
- Minimum of five (5) years of experience working in a manufacturing/operations environment required; seven (7) or more years preferred.
- Prior experience leading teams and operations in a packaging manufacturing environment preferred.
- Strong knowledge of machinery and facility maintenance preferred.
- Systems experience – High degree of tech-savvy with proficiency in one or more Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) systems required; proficiency with Epicor 10 preferred.
- Minimum of intermediate level proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Outlook) required; advanced proficiency preferred.
- Professional Certifications – Six Sigma Green Belt preferred.
- Experience with Demand Flow, Six Sigma, 5S, and LEAN Manufacturing principles preferred.
- Strong understanding of project management principles and methodologies including Waterfall, Agile, and SCRUM preferred.
- Experience implementing LEAN manufacturing and continuous improvement techniques (such as Kaizen, 5S, TQM, 6S) to drive improvement in Safety, Quality, Efficiency, and Cost.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively manage projects in the off season to drive continuous improvement during the season build.
- Demonstrated strong leadership, teamwork, and communications abilities.
- Demonstrated ability to make decisions and initiate action.
- Ability to demonstrate adaptability, tolerance for stress, and flexibility in all interactions within and outside the organization.