PURPOSE OF THE POSITION:
The purpose of a Operations Manage - Production in the plant is to effectively plan, coordinate, manage, and control all of the processing operations including processing equipment, maintenance and cleaning. This role will interface with other departments including quality, maintenance, warehouse, packaging, etc. The GM also has the responsibility for meeting and maintaining established safety, sanitation and environmental regulations.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES OF THE Operations Manager :
- Provide direction and technical expertise in activities related to ingredients, process methods, and data management by monitoring, trending and analyzing in-process information.
- Provides direction to shift coordinators and engineeringsupport to ensure quality products and adherence to productivity goals, including those associated with quality, productivity and other key performance indicators.
- Collaborate with quality in analyzing and tracking in-process micro sanitation, implementing necessary changes resulting in improvements in sanitation and overall product quality.
- Drives efforts to maximize efficiencies and continuous improvement process in all areas of the plant operations with direct reports. In addition, as a member of the management team actively seeks and supports opportunities for innovation of processes.
- Oversee the scheduling, assignment, and monitoring of personnel to meet production requirements.
- Collaborate with R&D, Quality, and Technical Services departments in formulation studies and reviews.
- Execute action plans to accommodate for feed science phenomena such as pH changes, nutritional shifts, heat and mass balances.
- Plays a critical role in supporting significant capital projects surrounding process/product innovation, new product launches and new equipment/technology.
GENERAL DESCRIPTION OF THE POSITION:
The Operations Manager directs, manages and coordinates the daily activities of approximately 50 people, including packaging professionals, engineers and scientists, across a 3 shift, 7-day processing operation at the plant. This is a highly visible leadership position within a fast-paced environment that will move into a promotional opportunity. This is a state of the art facility with highly automated in-process systems.
The manager will be responsible for ensuring that each employee within the department has been properly trained in all food safety and food quality requirements including pre-requisite programs. The GM is responsible for assuring the technicians, who are responsible for operating the pasteurizer, will be trained in HACCP and the operation of the pasteurization. Operators are responsible for performing the daily verification checks for the critical control point of temperature.
The GM has the authority to take immediate corrective actions when dealing with Food Safety and Food Quality issues and is required to report these issues to the Plant Manager and/or Quality Manager for further action if required.
- BS/MS Science/Engineering/Food Science or related degree.
- 10 years leadership experience in a food manufacturing environment.
- Additional Education (highly desired, but not required) - HACCP, USDA, FDA, OSHA, GMP, SPC, etc.
- Proven leadership ability
- Strong analytical & applied problem solving skills
- Familiarity with food plant operations
- Familiarity with cultured dairy products, procedures, and equipment is a plus
- Excellent analytical and statistical aptitude
- Ability to train, motivate and develop others
- Production Experience
- Food process engineering or technical support
- Lean Manufacturing/Six Sigma/Continuous Improvement. Root Cause, TPM, Kaizen, Autonomous Maintenance
- Memberships in Professional Organizations