Reporting to the mill manager, this role will focus on improving and optimizing current processes across our mill, establish strategic direction and execute operational excellence for operations.
- The Operations Leader will be responsible for the performance of the Product System (people, process and equipment), the cost competitiveness of their products and asset performance.
- Lead the Pulp Mill, Paper Mill, Steam & Recovery Department and shipping teams to develop and deliver key business metrics focusing on cost management and productivity goals that enable the site to meet or exceed expectations.
- Lead the departments in a way that fosters a culture committed to safety, quality, and a fully engaged workforce in a manner consistent with Domtar Values.
- Build organizational capabilities (structure, leadership competencies and organizational talent mix) and reinforce a culture of driving industry leading performance.
- Support and demonstrate the values of continuous improvement, learning and shared accomplishment.
- Drive short-term and long-term strategy development and implementation across operations to achieve department goals and objectives ensuring alignment with broader mill, division and corporate strategic plans.
- Provide insights on available capacity, manufacturing capability, and demand; identify opportunities to improve efficiencies, develop and implement plans ensuring alignment with broader mills, division and corporate strategic plans.
- Develop manufacturing models and corresponding inventory strategies that deliver against operational cost targets.
- Proactively drive cost optimization projects that deliver higher efficiency on an ongoing basis.
- Champion organizational development and talent programs that anticipate and address shifts in talent pools.
- Ability to foster a strong safety culture.
- Strong understanding of critical financial key levers in production, manufacturing, logistics operations.
- Demonstrated ability to lead in a matrixed and highly collaborative environment to influence and drive process and change management.
- Ability to manage at multiple levels and with cross functional teams across the organization.
- Demonstrated ability to understand the organizational impact in decision making.
- Inspires trust through influencing, passion, and active engagement with teams.
- Drives engagement within the team and for the purpose of the organization.
- Catalyzes change – acts to improve culture, process and products.
- Able to think strategically; act tactically; hands on.
- Quick learner who is optimistic and curious with a strong motivation for continuous improvement through collaboration.
- Bachelor’s Degree or higher in Engineering, Business Administration Operations Management or related field preferred; Master’s Degree preferred.
- 15+ years of continuous manufacturing process leadership with increasing experience in pulp and paper production; with a minimum of 5 years of budgetary responsibilities demonstrating strong business acumen.
- Demonstrated experiences in identifying and leading process improvement initiatives functionally and organizationally applying Six Sigma, Lean, Kaizen and change management methodologies.
- 15 years of experience in the Pulp and Paper industry.