The DC Operations Manager partners with the DC Director and General Manager to develop and implement strategies that drive continuous improvement and maximize productivity and efficiency to reduce overall costs. Is responsible for ensuring a continuous stream of talent to sustain organizational growth and improve operations by attracting, retaining, and developing team members and meet their needs for career growth. The DC Operations Manager must be knowledgeable in all facets of the Distribution Center (DC), overseeing or partnering with multiple functions that include but aren’t limited to: Inbound Operations (Receiving and Putaway), Replenishment, Outbound Operations (Selection, Shipping and E-commerce), Transportation, Customer Service Associates, and General Office Associates. The Operations Manager operates under limited management supervision.
- Planning and scheduling all distribution services up to and including, receiving, storing, shipping, handling returned and/or damaged goods, maintenance and administrative activities to ensure customer requirements are met
- Directing and overseeing job assignments and planning daily labor schedules including directing warehouse supervisors to achieve prescribed objectives
- Participating in budget preparation, revenue and account analyses, as needed by Director, DC Operations
- Ensuring the accurate and timely preparation, processing, distribution and retention of all necessary reports and records regarding warehouse operations
- Auditing operations to ensure service standards are being met and working with other departments to ensure overall effective operations
- Driven continual improvements that lead to more efficient and accuracy processes that improve operation cost
- Responsible for the interviewing, hiring and supervision of DC Supervisors. Provides training, sets performance goals and provides evaluative feedback to all direct reports.
- Plans and organizes work assignments. Monitors and controls departmental expenses including overtime to meet or exceed financial plan.
- Prepares and conducts performance appraisals for DC Supervisors.
- Initiates, conducts and seeks appropriate approvals involving disciplinary action up to and including terminations
- Assumes all managerial responsibilities concerning Human Resources policies and wage administration including payroll processing
- Takes proactive role in establishing and carrying out shrinkage control disciplines and programs and accepts high level of responsibility for distribution center's shrinkage performance.
- Ensures department-level compliance with key company standards of safety, facility maintenance, and postings/notifications.
- Uses discretion and independent judgment while maintaining the integrity of our Mission, Vision and Values statement in making all business decisions.
- Maintain a union free work environment that demonstrates a fair and respectful workplace for all team members
- Responsible for budgeting, P&L, and staffing for all respective departments
- Coach, train, and develop management team providing both informal (e.g. on-floor coaching) and formal (e.g. written evaluation) job performance based feedback
- Conduct start-up meetings with supervisors to discuss daily results, staffing needs, scheduling, housekeeping and work assignments.
- Ability to sit at a computer for extended periods of time.
- Ability to stand and work on concrete floor for extended periods of time.
- Ability to work extended work hours during peak weeks.
- Work to be performed in warehouse environment with exposure to heat, cold and dust.
- 7-10 years of distribution center experience; at least 5 years in a leadership role
- 3 years’ experience managing supervisors and managers preferred
- Bachelor Degree strongly preferred