At Manchester Industries, a Clearwater Paper Company, we provide unparalleled service and the best solutions in Paperboard Sales, Sheeting, and Distribution. Since 1978 we have helped our customers meet the daily demands of the commercial printing, publishing, point of purchase display, specialty packaging, and folding carton industries.
Through innovation and continual improvement in precision converting technology, we provide prime paperboard grades from leading mills to paper merchants and packaging companies. With vast inventories at Manchester's 5 strategic locations: Virginia, Pennsylvania, Indiana, Michigan, and Texas, we maintain 14 precision sheeters, 9 guillotine trimmers, 4 carton packing lines, and 2 slitter rewinders within 450,000 combined square feet of manufacturing and warehousing space.
The goal of Manchester Industries is to provide an exceptional service platform with our staff of committed employees. Through working with customers and suppliers together, we are able to find profitable and proficient solutions in this ever-changing marketplace.
Responsible for planning and directing the overall operations and improving productivity and efficiency. Ensures the operation produces safe, low cost products that meet or exceed the customers' expectations and requirements. Responsible for safety, quality, production, maintenance, and logistics. Operates the facility's assets to maximize efficiency and profitability. Supervises and coordinates activities of workers engaged in all phases of plant operation. Prepares operation schedules and coordinates manufacturing activities to ensure production and meet quality specifications. Create, implement and oversee communication programs that effectively describe and promote the organization and its products.
- Direct responsibility for fulfilment of on-demand manufacturing operation; seasonal demands can require position related organization of overtime in a quick turnaround business model.
- Works with the Director of Operations or General Manager to ensure effective utilization of all resources (e.g., asset management, capacity planning and resource management).
- Develops short- and long-range manufacturing objectives consistent with division guidelines.
- Establishes, executes, and maintains accountability for the achievement of specific operational performance targets (e.g., on-time shipments, inventory targets, product cost, quality standards, and order accuracy) leveraging continuous improvements concepts and applications.
- Drives established throughput goals, processes and requirements and assures budgeted production from all operations
- Directs development of capital and operating budgets, assuring objectives are met.
- Ensure the optimization of the assembly/fulfilment processes and related material/production workflow.
- Drive appropriate production/fulfilment methodologies on the shop floor; leverage best practices when applicable
- Supports and champions a culture of continuous improvement.
- Makes safety a priority by communicating, participating and supporting safety efforts, ensuring that all regulatory requirements are met.
- Ensures support of corporate safety initiatives.
- Reviews all safety incidents in the department and participate in the cause map.
- Tours daily for safety compliance and observation of employees.
- Guides and develops supervisors to manage crews in the area of safe work practices.
- Ensure standards for customer service, product quality, equipment and operator performances are maintained.
- Ensure Quality processes, procedures, and associated documentation is utilized.
- Ensures workforce is educated on the importance of producing a quality product.
- Measures team performance and makes employment decisions. Gives timely performance feedback and conducts formal performance reviews; challenges the team.
- Leads and mentors supervisors who are responsible for day to day people management.
- Develops an atmosphere where information is freely shared, and employees work towards a common goal.
- Provide both short-term guidance and long-term coaching and direction to the Management Team ensuring they effectively fulfil their duties and responsibilities.
Required education and related experience:
- Bachelor's degree in engineering, business management or a related field is required
- Minimum 10 years progressively responsible operation and management experience required.
- Experience in the pulp and paper industry preferred
Skills and Abilities (technical/professional skills, expertise and qualifications):
- Ability to work with a variety of employees, adapt and react to changing work situations
- Good supervisory and coaching skills
- Ability to manage multiple priorities
- Excellent time management and planning skills
- Proficient computer skills
- Exceptional communication/interpersonal skills
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to work effectively with individuals across the organization
- Continuous improvement/lean manufacturing experience preferred.
- Some mental, visual, physical fatigue from computer terminal use.
- Mix of office and manufacturing plant environments.
- Frequent presence in manufacturing environment involving high-speed equipment, high noise levels, heat, and cold and mill environments.
- Ability to sit for most of an 8-hour shift
- 45+ hours/week
- Occasional extra hours to meet work demands
- Lifting & bending; carrying suitcases, briefcase, entry and exit of various aircraft, buses, taxis etc.