Job Title: Operations Manager
SITUATION IN ORGANIZATION
The Operations Manager reports directly to the Plant Manager and provides technical assistance for plant operations. Position requires direct interaction with other departmental managers and staff positions to exchange information and ideas directly related to the success of the Houston plant and Thiochemicals Group. This position directly manages and supervises the operations technical team including two process engineers, production engineer, and a development engineer. Provides direct supervision of four shift operation teams made up of 25 employees.
Responsible for leading a team for production units at the Houston plant. This includes ensuring optimal production and process enhancements for units 196, 197, and 180 process areas. Responsible for implementing and executing technical projects, to ensure the plant is current on company technical directives. This position is accountable for managing and directing the Technical Team for driving site process safety initiatives, cost improvement and mechanical reliability. The position will direct and lead recovery from potential process interruptions by ensuring the plant operators are staffed, trained and scheduled appropriately.
Accountable for budgeting in relation to production activities. This includes, but it not limited to product cost tracking and overall budget control. Responsible for the calculation of and evaluation of raw material consumption, the material costs versus the material usage standards. Responsible for Operational Asset Utilization (OAU) calculations and all production data for the Houston plant. Responsible to act as one of the primary Sales and Operations Planning (S&OP) points of contact. Ensure the plant understands the S&OP plan, process, and anticipates potential gaps.
Responsible for managing the site Process Safety Management (PSM) Program. Key responsibilities in the PSM program include the planning and completion of the Process Hazard Analysis (PHAs) for the facility as well as directing the execution of projects to close gaps identified during the PHA process. Responsible for ensuring that all AIMS HESQ policies & practices (ISO 9001, 14001, 18001 & RCMS) are followed by all personnel. This includes compliance with all legal and regulatory requirements, (OSHA, EPA, TCEQ regulations and permits) quality systems, and safe work permit practices.
KEY ACTIVITIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Environmental Goal 15% - 20%:
• Support full environmental compliance and optimal environmental performance. Ensure that all procedures are in place for meeting environmental requirements during upset conditions. Ensure that permit compliance data and new permit applications are reviewed and are consistent with best engineering practices.
Safety Goal 20% - 25%:
• Support full compliance of all Safety related regulatory requirements including: OSHA, PSM, RMP and Company Policies and programs. Ensure that timely response of technical review is completed for incident investigations and action items developed and implemented (Impact). Perform as one of the primary Incident Commanders during plant emergencies. Provide support and oversight to the site fire brigade. Support and participate in the Behavior Based Safety (BBS) program.
Operation and Technical Goal 35% - 40%:
• Maximize operational efficiency and continuously identify and evaluate opportunities for improvement. Support plant initiatives for new product development, Process Technology Projects, and debottlenecking efforts. Provide assistance to operations during plant turnarounds, emergency operations, and any other time technical assistance is required. Ensure production accounting is accurate. Document owner for Production controlled documents.
Department Staff Management 20% - 25%:
• Direct and lead the members of the production team to ensure the safe and efficient operations of the process units and customer deliveries. Serve as a coach and mentor to the department personnel. Motivate workforce through visibility and direct contact to ensure maximum safety and productivity. Counsel on performance as appropriate. Identify skills development and training needs to maintain highly competent department personnel.
CONTEXT AND ENVIRONMENT
Job holder is placed with the following challenges:
• Inventory control for product turnarounds or maintenance shutdowns is subject to uncertain demand requirements.
• Direct responsibility for hourly workforce and role of Team Manager requires substantial time that must be prioritized among other responsibilities.
• High level of communication must be maintained from Top business leaders through first line Operators.
• Daily coordination with corporate supply chain, customer service, and logistics groups.
• Continuous 24/7 monitoring of plant HSE and production status for all products.
• Supports the site HES policy and complies with all regulatory and internal requirements.
• Participates in HES activities provided by site management and Arkema Inc. (e.g., Behavioral Base Safety, SafeStart, etc.)
• Supports and promotes the reporting of all health, safety, environmental, near miss, accident or injury incidents.
REQUIRED EDUCATION/QUALIFICATIONS/WORK EXPERIENCE
• BS CHE from an accredited University with 7+ year’s relevant technical and managerial service.
• Ability to understand and troubleshoot chemical processing to achieve production goals.
• Excellent verbal and written communications skills to communicate with hourly workforce, business leaders, customers and company’s technical organization.
• Previous experience managing direct/indirect reports will be a plus.
• Excellent judgment and problem analysis skills are required as well as tolerance for stress.
• Ability to understand and troubleshoot chemical process operations in order support effective operations.
• Highly motivated team player able to work at a fast pace.
Valid through: 11/30/2020