Job ID: EN_US_1703587
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, age, citizenship, color, religion, sex, marital status, national origin, disability status, gender identity or expression, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
At BASF, we create chemistry through the power of connected minds. By balancing economic success with environmental protection and social responsibility, we are building a more sustainable future through chemistry. As the world’s leading chemical company, we help our customers in nearly every industry meet the current and future needs of society through science and innovation.
We provide a challenging and rewarding work environment and are always working to form the best team—especially from within, through an emphasis on lifelong learning and development. And we are constantly striving to become an even better place to work. BASF has been recognized by Forbes Magazine as one of America’s Best Employers in 2017. Come join us on our journey to create solutions for a sustainable future!
Where the Chemistry Happens…
This position is based in Lima, OH at the Chelates Joint Venture Site (Fort Amanda Specialties). The Operations Manager leads a team of 3 Process Engineers, 1 Production Superintendent (with 5 team leaders and 33 operators), 1 Lab Manager (with 2 chemists) in an OSHA PSM facility, and serves as the interface between BASF and FAS.
Operations Manager (1703587) – Lima, OH
Formula for Success: You Will…
- Accountable for optimization of daily operational activities:
- EHS – process and occupational safety
- Asset effectiveness
- Operational budget
- Quality Control and Laboratory
- Adherence to production schedule
Develop improvement strategies and prioritizing improvement efforts, including identifying prioritizing capital improvement requirements of the plant to meet HSE personnel and process safety, quality, cost, yield, capacity, and business imperatives.
Develop and adhere to annual department expense budgets.
- Be accountable for all unit operations costs.
- Implement identified asset effectiveness improvements.
- Approve, prioritize, and follow-up of Incident Investigation Reports and MOCs.
- Approve Standard Operating Procedures (SOP's) for the units.
- Develop personnel training requirements to meet manufacturing training standards and the needs of operations.
- Ensure best practices are adhered to for OSHA, EPA and DOT regulations.
- Ensure production and packaging of all site products per schedule/specification.
- Support maintenance planning and execution to achieve world-class operational excellence.
- Participate on the Site Leadership Team
- Demonstrate commitment to health, safety, and protection of the environment: The incumbent supports BASF's commitment by leading the site to comply with health, safety, and environmental protection programs. The incumbent leads development and implementation of safe work practices, drives safety culture and works collaboratively to resolve any non-conforming conditions.
Leadership Core Responsibilities
- Coach and develop team members to reach their full potential.
- Support development assignments and movement of talent across units.
- Motivate and challenge to drive high performance.
- Commit to "hiring the best" internally and externally.
- Create an inclusive environment which embraces and derives value from diversity.
- Execute performance and career development discussions.
- Role model and enable development of competencies in others needed to implement BASF's strategy.
- Establish and support a safety culture in which all accidents are preventable.
Create Your Own Chemistry: What We Offer You…
Adding value to our customers begins with adding value to you. You@BASF is the suite of benefits, perks, programs and unique opportunities we offer to support you—the whole you—in all stages of your life and career. With you@BASF, you create your own chemistry.
The total rewards that you receive as a BASF employee go way beyond a paycheck. From competitive health and insurance plans, to robust retirement benefits that include company-matching contributions, to making sure you never stop learning, we believeinvesting in you isinvesting in our success.Working for a large, global organization, you’ll have a chance to grow professionally and personally, expand yournetworkand build a rewarding and dynamic career.
Qualifications - BASF recognizes institutions of Higher Education which are accredited by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation or equivalent
Ingredients for Success: What We Look for in You…
- Bachelor’s degree in a technical field required, preferably in Chemistry or Engineering.
- A minimum of 5years of operational leadership experience in chemical manufacturing or a related field.
- Working knowledge of basic engineering principles, root cause analysis and process troubleshooting, statistics, computer skills, and DCS process control.
- Demonstrated knowledge of Process Safety Management requirements
- Knowledge of operational budgeting processes.
- Experience managing resources to meet business goals while complying with safety, environmental, and regulatory standards.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively develop and lead a team of individuals from diverse backgrounds.
- Capability to assess and manage employee performance.
- Strong communication skills for interacting with all levels of personnel (i.e., Senior Management/Operating Technicians).