The Amarillo Operations Leader has overall responsibility for all areas of manufacturing operations of the largest NA CSB manufacturing facility. Amarillo is a critical plant to the overall CSB business model. The facility manufactures Type 30 and WUCS – Wet Use Chop Strand products for use in a variety of applications. This seasoned leader works with the Plant Leader and peers on the development and implementation of organizational strategies, standards and practices to achieve best-in-class performance in the following areas:
- Safety – Our employees live injury-free lives
- Talent –Our employees are engaged and empowered and own the success of the business
- Manufacturing Excellence – Our plants are continually improving world class manufacturing environments leveraging TPM methodology
- Quality – We produce zero defects or failures to customer requirements
- Environmental – We operate with zero non-conformities and zero waste streams
- Cost – We are the competitive cost leader
In addition, the Operations Leader collaborates closely with Plant Leader and leadership across the business to leverage One Company best practices focused on eliminating waste, serving our customers and growing and developing our people. The Operations Leader owns the manufacturing performance of the site and is responsible for plant overall Net Efficiency (NE), Quality of products and mainly the Safety of our people.
The position reports directly to the Plant Leader and is an integral partner in executing the operations strategy for the site. This is a pipeline role for future growth, Plant Leader within CSB, targeted to Amarillo.
- Lead safety and security for an injury free work environment
- Ensures a culture which enables a safe and secure work environment for all employees, contractors and visitors
- Shows passion and caring for our people, and leads from a place of “safety and” the other objectives of the business with a focus on safe behaviors and choices
- Allocates resources and identifies investments required to achieve zero injuries, including systems, focused programs, and leadership
- Ensures a clear and effective measurement system is followed and used to drive results; rewards and celebrates safe behavior and achievements; ensures accountability
- Recordable Incident Rate (RIR)
- First Aid, Near-miss, and Total Incident Rate
- SAFE Score (Management and Critical Six Modules)
- Plant based leading indicators
- Know the business and our customers
- Continuously build insight into the business’ market, customer base and strategies
- Create an environment where all employees are engaged, empowered and focused on serving our customers
- Develop relationships with customers and understand what it takes to ensure OC produces products that they define as high quality, and assists in developing solutions for serving our customers
- Supply consistent quality products on time; raise the level of our service to provide a customer experience that fosters customer loyalty and strong relationships; operate with a zero defect mindset
- Enables a customer focused environment that effectively manages new product industrialization
- Defects – goal of zero defects or failures to customer requirements
- New product industrialization to plan
- Service Exceptions
- Improvements driven by utilization of customer input and insight
- Execute business strategy and direct operations that drive towards manufacturing excellence
- Leads with a clear view of where the organization needs to be in 1-3years; communicates strategic direction to employees and how it fits with the day-to-day actions and results being driven
- Strategically embraces TPM methodology to Identify and drives continuous improvement efforts through standardized work to cut cost and improve productivity and quality.
- Drives cost leadership by engaging employees, identifying opportunities to improve and execution against the opportunities.
- Set clear and measurable performance expectations, in line with division and corporate goals; proactively analyzes and manages all relative operations performance metrics
- Operate with zero environmental non-conformities to applicable company , government and regulatory policies
- Continuously improves the plant operations environmental footprint consistent with company goals and community interests
- TPM deployment to plan
- Performance against operating plan/Mfg/Gains and Loss
- Conversion Efficiency / Operating Efficiency
- Cost per unit
- Environmental compliance / non-conformities
- Footprint Reduction
- Develop a positive employee relations environment
- Ensures a positive, creative, diverse and collaborative work environment where employees own the success of the business
- Selects, trains, ensures the proper tools processes and systems are in place, then empowers employees to deliver against clear expectations.
- Monitors labor activities and leverages labor relations resources as appropriate to ensure compliance with all collective bargaining agreements, company policies and/or governmental regulations
- Establishes OC as an employer of choice in the local market
- Builds a facility worthy of being used as marketing and communications platform, both internal and external
- Employee engagement and 100% leader results improvement
- Employee feedback surveys and assessments
- Turnover %, absenteeism %, OT% reduction, Shift Roster attainment (labor utilization)
- Issues of dispute
- Lead and develop talent
- Create an environment where talent is developed and their full potential is realized.
- Effectively build a diverse team with competent people using the appropriate mix of internal promotions and external recruitment to satisfy near-term performance, longer-term succession needs and to ensure the organization has the necessary outstanding talent.
- Invest in the growth and development of direct reports and other identified talent in their organization. Be engaged in personal development.
- Ensures alignment with functional leadership (e.g., finance, safety, human resources) on performance management and talent development
- Performance of direct reports
- Talent developed and promoted
- Succession plans in place for key roles
- Unplanned turnover
- Talent additions through external recruiting
- Lead across the network manufacturing facilities and integrated supply chain of the business
- Leverage partnership with other leaders across the integrated supply chain to maximize performance of the business, lead change, and grow talent
- Share best practices, challenge thinking and provide candid and respectful feedback; set an example for the organization of how teamwork and partnerships should work
- Be seen as a great leader across the business, driving engagement and supporting cross-functional projects and teams.
- Feedback from leadership, peers and direct reports
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering preferred
- 10+ Yrs. minimum work experience
- A minimum of three years experience in manufacturing leading people in a cross- functional and complex manufacturing environment
- Exposure to cross-functional team leadership or participation outside of manufacturing
- A history of hiring, growing and promoting talent within the organization
- Preferred experience in Six Sigma and TPM formal training and Lean manufacturing experience
- Experience successfully designing and leading culture change within an organization
Knowledge and Skills:
- Computer skills- the ability to utilize OC systems and the software necessary for this role
- Utilizing data and data collection systems, and Six Sigma, or other problem solving methods for decision-making to eliminate manufacturing losses and unnecessary costs
- Creating and implementing strategic and operations plans
- Leading and motivating peers, managers and subordinates
- Effective with verbal and written communication
- Business and Financial acumen
- External perspective and understands that all business opportunities start with knowledge of how to create value for customer.
- Strong planning, resourcing and delegation skills
- Able to engage and care for others starting with safety
- Able to achieve results fast both individually and through teams
- Has Company Spirit
Abilities and Personal Characteristics:
- Customer orientation: Has an external perspective and understands that all business opportunities start with knowledge of how to serve our customers.
- Acts as a leader amongst peers: Expected to embrace and help drive division initiatives throughout the business unit. Acts as a mentor for other plant leaders and is willing and able to take on additional division type assignments as needed.
- Establishes courses of action: Accomplishes the goals of the business; translates strategies into actionable operating plans; sets goals for personal and team accomplishment; uses measurement methods to monitor progress; quickly overcomes barriers and adapts plans to ensure goal attainment.
- Attracts the best talent: Knows and grows others. Able to build a robust, flexible pipeline of extraordinary talent driving current and future demands of the business. Generates actions and leverages resources that result in retention of talented employees.
- Creates a vivid picture that excites employees, customers and partners about winning and doing what it takes to win. Exudes energy that is contagious and instills in others a passion to excel and the confidence to achieve more than is believed possible.
- Sets goals for organizational and personal accomplishment and ensures employees always know what’s expected of them, how they are performing, and how their performance impacts business results and determines their reward and recognition.
- Demonstrates a strong self-awareness of one’s strengths, development needs and the impact of one’s own behavior on others; and consistently takes actions to be better.
- A balanced sense of self confidence and an abiding respect for others. Prioritizes strong personal wellbeing in order to maximize and fortify their contribution to the business. Operates in a transparent fashion without a personal agenda.