Updater’s FinTech Division is the newest addition to and a wholly-owned subsidiary of Updater. Built to rethink how insurance companies communicate with their policyholders before, during, and after a move, the division builds products that help consumers transfer insurance policies during a stressful move, in just a few clicks. Imagine if you had that the last time you moved?!
The division will also pursue other FinTech opportunities to help streamline the moving process for our users.
As an Operations Engineer, you’ll join the core engineering team in our FinTech Division and will be instrumental in designing and building a robust, secure operations infrastructure to support the needs of the business and development team. We are looking for someone that is passionate about building simple and highly maintainable solutions for complex problems.
Our infrastructure is deployed in the cloud (AWS), using Terraform, and monitored using tools such as CloudWatch. This infrastructuresupports our development efforts, our production systems, and our data warehouse for business intelligence and reporting. We have no legacy systems (!) -- so we can use the best, latest technology to build solutions without being constrained by prior design choices or old technology.
While Updater’s headquarters are based in New York City, the Insurance Division is based in Charlottesville, Virginia, in a great area right between ACAC and Three Notch’d Brewery.
What you’ll do:
- Collaborate daily with product, internal stakeholders, and other engineers to design, build, and maintain a first-class, secure operations infrastructure
- Engage in architecture and infrastructure decisions for the system(s) you own
- Take responsibility for planning and execution of business-critical tasks
- Ensure high uptime and performance for our production infrastructure
What you have:
- 2+ years of operations experience, ideally building products from ideation to launch on a strong engineering team.
- Strong background in Linux administration
- Experience with automated configuration management tools, such as Terraform, Chef, or Puppet (Terraform preferred)
- Proficient with a variety of open-source technologies and cloud technologies, including a variety of databasetechnologies. Experience with AWS is required.
- A strong commitment to building fault-tolerant, secure, high-performance systems
- Strong domain experience. You understand the relevant technologies and love to learn more about them as the field evolves.
- A pragmatic approach to engineering. You have opinions about engineering processes, architecture, infrastructure, and tools, but understand there are often multiple valid ways to solve a problem.
Compensation & Benefits:
We're looking for top-tier talent, and we offer compensation packages that include competitive base salary & stock options. Our comprehensive benefits programs include health care, dental, and flexible Paid Time Off (PTO).