WORKING AT GSK
GSK's goal is to be one of the world's most innovative, best performing and trusted healthcare companies. As a science-led business with clear values, we offer countless opportunities for people at various stages of their careers. On-the-job learning and rewarding individual contributions are extremely important to us.
We believe in creating an inclusive and engaging working environment that encourages employees to contribute and help us achieve our strategic business objectives. Key to this, is our investment in development, our approach to flexible working and our innovative safety, health and well-being programmes.
OUR CULTURE SUPPORTING YOUR FUTURE
GSK R&D is transforming its culture.
We believe in creating conditions were people can be innovative and perform at their best with a sense of belonging. We are keen to attract and engage with a diverse range of candidates, who can bring their expertise and knowledge to our teams and in return we can offer you a collaborative learning environment and the opportunity to develop your career and gain experience across R&D
If you share our values of Patient focus, Transparency, Respect and Trust and are motivated to contribute towards bringing lifesaving drugs to patients, then we'd love to hear from you.
At GSK, our Operations Team makes up one of the 5 core disciplines that are part of the Strategy, Portfolio and Operations organisation. We are invaluable strategic partners to the business, who we are supporting in discovering, developing and manufacturing novel medicines to benefit patients around the world.
We drive operational excellence and process change across R&D to help deliver GSK's strategy of Innovation, Performance and Trust.
Our Operations team is expanding and has opportunities for people who are keen to apply their experience and knowledge to build effect relationships with our business partners and act in line with our values. These roles include operations directors, team leaders and change leaders and are based in both the UK at Stevenage and in the US at Upper Providence.
We are keen to hear from experienced professionals and actively encourage those from diverse backgrounds to apply.
- Proactively support R&D Senior Leader at RDLT-1 or RDLT-2 level and their Leadership Team to identify and scope line strategy, plan to execute line strategy and associated business change plans as appropriate, in support of overall enterprise objectives.
- Support the R&D Leaders to ensure the leadership team understands and measures the key drivers of business effectiveness in the line (and the trade-offs between quality, time and cost) and implement a balanced program of change that enables the line to increase its effectiveness.
- Accountable for ensuring seamless business operations support from R&D Operations and for resolving issues.
- Accountable for assessing the business performance and business transformation activities required for the R&D line to meet their objectives and pulling in the appropriate Operations disciplines to deliver the business objectives.
Key Responsibilities (No More than 10 Bullet Points): Describe the key deliverables to be achieved by the post holder and the ongoing responsibilities of the role.
- Responsible for ensuring the development, maintenance and embedding of the strategy/ business plans for the Scientific/Business line.
- Secretariat for leadership team. Drive and contribute to the process of planning Leadership Team Meetings including agendas, key participants, stakeholders, and tracking decisions and actions.
- Drive the development, interpretation and provision of key performance indicators and analyses. Ensure stakeholder engagement strategy is in place to influence decision making and behavior change to improve productivity across the portfolio.
- Influence the leadership team in the definition of business strategy with explicit reference to trends in the internal and external environment.
- Perform ad-hoc analysis, develop strategic options, and providing recommendations to enable informed decision making specifically in the areas of major investments, organizational setup, and productivity improvement (business case development, cost / benefit analysis, pro/cons, etc).
- Leads line specific business transformation projects and creating deliverables (business plans, business cases and KPI's) as required.
- Understand and be able to influence the environment outside of the line organization to support achievement of its objectives (e.g. other R&D lines, PSC or other Global Support Functions).
- This is a role which must be able to deal with high levels of complexity and ambiguity, as well as be able to effectively navigate through multiple stakeholders and their perspectives.
- Requires strong and sophisticated relationship building and influencing skills and will be comfortable making tangible progress with ambiguity and with minimal direction.
- This role requires the ability to think strategically about key issues affecting R&D and its organisational implications as well as organisational savvy in dealing with senior leaders.
- Degree level in Business such as project management, resource management, change mangement, finance or Life Sciences such as pharmacology, chemistry, biochemistry, biology, genetics, oncology
- Depth and breadth of experience and cross functional knowledge in oncology methodologies, processes or business operations or with external partners
- Scientific or operational credibility with evidence of delivery in an R&D environment, including effective matrix working
- Consulting/advisory experience at senior management level (e.g., through strategy or change initiative roles in industry, or in a professional services organization)
- Proactively identifies and resolves issues and hurdles
- Results-orientation and drive to set and reach challenging goals; high standards for performance
- Have an entrepreneurial track record of taking intelligent risks, of courage in personal decision-making and willingness to be held accountable
- Must be self-directed and highly motivated and understand where to apply their efforts to achieve the most significant business outcome
- Must be curious and able to engage at all levels within and external to the line in order to create a rich and alternative perspective to the teams that they support.
- Proven ability to operate at this level, and successfully achieve complex business outcomes, prioritize demand and remove barriers.
- Must be able to constructively challenge and influence with mastery, credibly engaging with key stakeholders within R&D and GSK but also with experts in the external environment.
- Highly effective communicator (spoken, written, listener).
- MBA or MS degree in scientific or business discipline together with substantial industry experience in Oncology business operations
- Experience leading a line or matrix team driving scientific and business performance.
- ADP Practitioner, PMP, or Six Sigma certification preferred