Job Overview: The Operational Excellence Project Manager is responsible for continuous improvement and cost out as it relates to capacity generation and cost reduction that can be applied to current and new equipment. The Operational Excellence Project Manager will be a facilitator of change, continuous improvement, and operational excellence. The focus will be supporting capital improvement projects including manufacturing equipment, facility enhancements and new product launches. The Operational Excellence Project Manager will assist our Madison Leadership Team in strategy development, process deployment, operations improvement during a time of accelerated growth and capital expansion.
- This is a contract/limited term assignment dedicated to manufacturing efficiencies and business growth.
- The ideal candidate will be someone who has the ability and interest to grow into a permanent role within the organization upon completion of the project. Approximate length of the assignment is 12+ months
- The role has no direct reports
- Leads CI / OPEX focused events and initiatives to achieve established objectives in relation to capacity improvement and debottlenecking in preparation for new equipment and new business
- Oversees events including event preparation, project timelines, agenda development, production of meeting minutes and associated documents and preparation of reports on project status and activities for various audiences.
- Facilitates events using a variety of Lean tools, including value stream mapping, PDCA, root cause analysis, A3, etc.
- Partners with department leadership to determine appropriate resource and staffing needs for each project and is accountable for managing each project's resources and deliverables.
- Develops the analytic and measurement strategies for all key process improvement projects including development of metrics, identification of data sources, and collection of baseline data.
- Partners with teams to develop and maintain clear project metrics and reporting.
- Communicates regularly with process improvement and project teams and leadership sponsors during and after event regarding progress toward goals and obstacles encountered to ensure sustainability of process improvement efforts.
- Creates and maintains dashboard communications and visual management strategies to track project effectiveness.
- Develops and presents updates for projects and activities in clear and concise written presentations to Senior Leadership.
- Assesses current process capabilities, identifies improvement opportunities and integrates new standardized processes & equipment to maximize manufacturing throughput and capacity
- Collaborates with Technical Engineering to implement new production processes, which meet engineering and quality specifications
- Focuses on manufacturing efficiency by analyzing and planning workflow
- Provides subject matter expertise for assigned manufacturing processes and equipment
Major challenges & complexities:
- Dealing with different stakeholders with different motivations, with competing priorities for their time
- Ability to handle multiple tasks and projects simultaneously
- Ability to work creatively and analytically in a problem-solving environment
- Plant Management Team
- Project Power Up Team
- Engineering/Technical Team
- Other cross-functional team members
Knowledge & Experience:
- 5+ years relevant work experience in Engineering including a focus on project management and lean methodology, preferably within the printing or consumer packaged goods industries
- Demonstrated competence within industrial engineering and Continuous Improvement initiatives Demonstrated leadership of capital / continuous improvement projects focused on meeting corporate and departmental goals
- General understanding of the components of total delivered costs and business financial reporting systems
- Working knowledge of plant processes and practices
Education & Certifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering (Mechanical, Industrial, Electrical, or related) or equivalent experiences.
- Lean/Six Sigma certification and demonstrated experience implementing Lean methodologies
- Detail-oriented, highly organized, self-directed, and capable of interacting and communicating with all levels within the organization.
- Proficient using Microsoft Office software including Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and Project
- Effective at developing and managing a project plan to achieve desired results
- Proven ability to achieve required objectives through the leadership of others
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills as well as team leadership skills
- Able to manage multiple priorities in a dynamic environment
- Operates effectively with people at all levels of the organization with ability to build and maintain relationships
- Strong problem solving and creative solutions skills
- Ability to multitask and lead / prioritize multiple projects
Why work at Amcor?
- We value safety, integrity, collaboration, accountability and results and out performance
- Amcor is a growing company which means career opportunities both locally and internationally
- The environment is better off because of our leadership and products
- We offer world class benefits including annual bonus opportunities; including various retirement savings/voluntary pension plans (vary depending on country).
- We value diversity. With sites in over 40 countries around the world, you have the unique opportunity to work and grow with a multi-cultural team.