Mortenson’s success is not a matter of luck; it’s a result of our ingenuity, expertise, and exceptional people coupled with our unparalleled focus on customer service.
Our foundation and culture are based upon our company values of trust, safety, teamwork, responsibility, service and stewardship. We are inspired by a compelling purpose to build structures and facilities for the advancement of modern society and a mission to create an exceptional customer experience. Mortenson has built a reputation for being a leader in our industry and in the communities in which we live and work.
It all starts with our extraordinary people and collaborative teams. Mortenson has been voted a "best place to work" over 40 times since 2002…
…What are you waiting for?!
Mortenson is currently seeking a passionate Operating Group Safety Director to serve as a safety resource to the Operating Group management team and assist project management teams. This is a traveling position for our Solar Group.
- Implement the Zero Injury Safety program
- Direct project teams with site specific safety programs
- Conduct and review site
- Oversee Company Safety directives at the Group Level
- Participate at the Group Level in creation and maintenance of Standard Work Instructions (SWI’s)
- Provide technical assistance to Project Teams, Senior Executive Leadership Team, and Safety Engineers
- Manage and oversee Operating Group Safety Engineers
- Review and monitor subcontractor activities at the Operating Group level
- Work with Group Leadership to ensure consistency of the Safety message.
- Develop, implement, and lead company and project training and orientation
- Recognize and develop new training as needed for project and leadership support
- Ensure corrective management action when required
- Conduct operating group loss control data and documentation collection. Develop loss trend analysis reports.
- Mentor, manage, and provide timely performance evaluations of Safety Engineer I & II, Senior Safety Engineer, and Safety Manager
- Effectively work and build relationships with those of diverse backgrounds and organizational levels
- Lead team members by example, offer effective coaching and feedback, and effectively manage performance
- Effectively lead all CIA discussions and investigations
- Work in conjunction with on-site and Group occupational health partners to manage incidents
- Strong interpersonal skills with ability to work effectively with a broad range of individuals, from craft worker to senior management
- Commitment and passion for the Zero Injuries Philosophy and integration of safety and operation
- Active listening skills and effective communication including an openness to diverse input and feedback
- Strong teamwork orientation
- Positive attitude and professional customer service skills
- Ability to travel overnight up to 80%
- Knowledge of Equal Employment Opportunity, inclusive behaviors, and Affirmative Action plans and their intended use
- General knowledge of the electrical industry and basic electrical theory
- Knowledge to assist in preparation, review and correction of Crane Lift Plans
Education and Experience Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in Safety, Occupational Health, or related field
- Minimum 10 years of experience in a construction safety role or equivalent related experience OR – high school diploma plus CHST Certification, OSHA 500 certification, and a minimum of 15 years of continuous construction experience leading crews and planning work (including at least 10 years as a dedicated construction safety professional responsible for managing project and/or regional safety programs, conducting/reviewing hazard analyses and developing controls, conducting safety training, and working with project teams and leadership to plan work activities)
- Experience providing support to multiple project sites simultaneously and managing a team of safety professionals
- Previous experience managing a zero-injury safety program a plus
- Certified Safety Professional preferred
- Have or be able to obtain NFPA 70E certification
- Current driver’s license