Passion around accelerating the understanding of natural waters is your hallmark. Operating as a co-practitioner with the oceanographic scientific community to enable previously unobtainable scientific insights is your sweet spot.
As the Ocean Optics Scientist, you help make scientists successful and advocate for the advancement of science and partner with a cross-functional team to make our products Sea-Bird Scientific's strength is the fusion of science and technology. You are part of a team advocating for the advancement of science and technology.
This position can be based out of one of the Sea-Bird Scientific sites in Bellevue, WA or Philomath, OR.
- Work directly with our customers to provide data quality that exceeds requirements for understanding climate level change in our oceans; at times this may include traveling to customer sites / ocean going vessels
- Work with scientific customers to improve their measurements, contributing to their success by diagnosing issues and if something isn't right, acting on behalf of Sea-Bird to make it so. This may involve prescribing changes in characterization/calibration, measurement methodology, data correction, or as appropriate driving cross-functional teams to undertake changes in instrument design
- Custodian of maintaining strong cross-functional relationships with key members of the scientific community by helping map customers to appropriate contacts at Sea-Bird and planned collaboration opportunities in partnership with Sales, Product Management and Service
- Partner with Sales and Product Management to drive scientific partnerships in China
- Grow the global impact of Sea-Bird Scientific University
- Act as a liaison, communicating customer needs to appropriate departments
- Further ocean science and promote understanding of Sea-Bird's solutions by attending conferences, speaking engagements, writing papers, developing posters, etc.
Innovation & Growth
- Research and development of scientific methods and measurement techniques of optical sensors including: ocean color radiometers, optical nutrient sensors, bio-optical sensors, and inherent optical property sensors.
- Calibration and metrology improvements for optical product lines.
- Support optical design analyses for new product development.
- Mentoring engineers and scientists within the organization
- Participate directly on cross cross-functional product development teams, ensuring impactful contributions
- Deepen our calibration capabilities, continually improving and applying to new technologies
- Partner with Service, Engineering, Product Management and Sales, consulting on science and providing VOC as needed
- A passion for improving ocean sensing technology
- PhD in oceanography or related field with relevant focus on ocean optics or a Master's degree with 5 years of ocean optics experience
- Experience partnering with scientists both domestic and international
- Expertise in ocean color remote sensing/marine bio-optics and/or ocean ecology and biogeochemistry. Other expertise fields to be considered include: oceanography, climate and atmospheric sciences, marine biogeochemistry, phytoplankton ecosystem ecology and photobiology.
- Experience in using radiometric sensors, optical instrumentation (e.g. fluorescence, scattering, absorption) and CTDs to collect scientific data in the ocean and presenting it at international conferences
- Recent participation in the form of presentations or posters at scientific conferences.
- Demonstrated strong written skills (e.g. publications, reports, articles).
- Statistical skills such as uncertainty propagation analyses, Monte Carlo, etc
- Optical / radiative transfer modeling expertise skills preferred.
- Outstanding organizational, communication, interpersonal, relationship building skills
- Ability to establish credibility and rapport across the organization with technical and non-technical team members alike
- Strong project and time management skills
- Advanced scientific programming skills (MATLAB®, python, R, or similar languages), statistical analyses skills (signal processing, regressions), data processing, analysis and visualization preferred.