1. Manages the Operations and Maintenance Department’s daily activities for a combined cycle plant.
2. Directs plant operations, maintenance and the daily O&M activities of the operations and maintenance department personnel.
3. Directs the training and development of O&M staff.
4. Ensure safe and reliable power plant operation.
5. Maintain a thorough knowledge of all plant systems, plant relay tripping scheme, operating and emergency response procedures, compliance procedures, sabotage and disturbance reporting procedures and the ability to execute procedures when necessary and access the appropriate plant manuals.
6. Maintain a thorough knowledge of plant environmental emission parameters.
7. Maintain knowledge of all NERC Reliability Standards that pertain to the operations of the plant. Specifically responding to dispatch instruction and reliability directives, responding to sabotage threats and system disturbances, plant daily availability reporting, reporting changes in real or reactive power, reporting changes in Automatic Voltage Regulator operation, performing capacity & reactive demonstration tests, reporting relay failures or misoperations, reporting communication outages, using line identifiers when communicating with Transmission Owner and Transmission Operator, and logging all communications and actions.
8. Ensure that the Operations Department follows all operating and emergency procedures, compliance procedures, sabotage and disturbance reporting procedures.
9. Maintains start-up, shutdown, alarm response, normal and emergency operating procedures.
10. Monitors and optimizes plant performance – assists engineers and vendors with performance testing and evaluation.
11. Assume plant management responsibilities when necessary in the absence of the Facility Manager.
12. Administer and track the plant safety compliance.
13. Will involve occasional work with OSHA classified hazardous materials.
14. Review timesheets.
15. Prepares outage and operating reports.
16. Support Facility Manager in developing monthly and annual reports.
17. Function as an operator in emergencies.
18. Complete requiredreports including but not limited to: eDart, Daily Declaration; Daily Gas Usage, Plant EventReport, Relay Misoperations Reports, DOE OE-417 Form, etc.
19. Investigate all plant protective system operations to ensure proper operation and assist in the preparation of plant eventreports and of any misoperations reporting.
20. Assist Facility Manager in the tracking and scheduling of plant protective systems maintenance and testing.
21. Assists in Environmental, Safety, and NERC Reporting activities.
22. Implement company policies and procedures to ensure plant compliance with safety, environmental and other regulatory programs. (OSHA, USEPA, NJDEP, NERC).
23. Effectively utilize and oversee the effective deployment and use of the site's Computerized Maintenance Managements System (CMMS).
24. Read and interpret mechanical drawings and P&IDs.
25. Make competent decisions in emergency situations.
26. May be required to work overtime in the form of additional hours per day and additional days per week as dictated by plant operations - including but not limited to call-in’s; vacations; outages (forced, & scheduled).
1. Ability to work in a complex, high pressure, production oriented environment.
2. Ability to work and communicate effectively with all plant personnel as well as client and other outside representatives.
3. Thorough knowledge of PC use in administrative functions and maintenance planning.
4. Ability to encounter new and varied work situations sometimes extremely complex in nature.
5. Ability to work extended hours with “on-call” status.
6. Ability to perform duties independently with only general direction.
7. Physical requirements may include but not be limited to: working on feet for up to 12 hours, stair and ladder climbing, and wearing of personal protective equipment in the performance of some duties
8. Strong leadership and motivational skills required.
9. Ability to travel as the position requires.
10. Ability to read one line engineering drawings.
11. Ability to distinguish between colors
12. Capable of training operators and maintenance personnel
13. Hold a valid state driver’s license.
Education & Experience:
1. Hold a MA state Dept. of Public Safety second class Engineers License.
2. Associate degree in Engineering or equivalent experience.
3. Minimum of ten (10) years plant operations experience with three (4) years in a supervisory position.
4. Working knowledge of ISO-NE.
5. Working knowledge of Gas Suppliers and electric dispatch, ISO-NE Certified.
6. Experience and thorough knowledge of cogeneration operation and maintenance, electrical power and steam production.
7. Good computer skills including MS Outlook, Work, Excel.
8. Sound and orderly record keeping skills.