This position is with the GI Clinic/7MB Specialty Clinics.
The HCS in the Ambulatory Care setting works under the supervision administratively of the clinic practice manager or clinic health specialist lead and professionally under the supervision of the clinic medical director or other designated physician. The HCS functions independently in a staff position to implement the role of expert practitioner, consultant, educator and researcher within the specialized area of patient care. The HCS possesses and exhibits a high degree of knowledge, skill and competence in the provision of health care directly to the patient, family or community, or indirectly through guidance of care by other professional personnel. The HCS performs within the scope of licensure and in accordance with clinic, hospital and university policies/standards.
• Provides comprehensive assessments of complex/specialized patients, and when appropriate, their families.
• Maintains the care of a “panel” of patients in the assigned clinical area.
• Obtains and records medical histories, performs physical examinations, orders and interprets diagnostic tests, establishes diagnosis and follows current standards of practice for prescribing medications and/or establishing treatment protocols. Recognizes own limitations and consults when appropriate.
• Recognizes deviations from normal in the physical assessment and works in collaboration with the physician to develop management and treatment plans.
• Documents findings, reports and plans of care including needed patient education and appropriate follow up of care in the medical record.
• Performs efficiently during emergency situations, using sound judgment and following established protocol.
• Participates in the QA and process improvement activities of the clinic. Shares in the improvement in quality of patient care through participation in committees, implementation of new trends in nursing or medical care, and by contributing suggestions for improvement in organized delivery of care.
• Participates in an interdepartmental effort to facilitate a safe environment for staff and patient care.
• Follows clinic standards on the use of safety equipment and regulations for personnel (i.e., blood borne pathogens, TB, etc.).
• Assists in the training of various levels of health care professionals.
• Develops and maintains relationships with clinic staff, clinic manager, clinic medical director, interdisciplinary patient care teams and other hospital staff to ensure maximizing positive department and employee relationships.
• Supports and advocates the mission and objectives of the medical center and division and assists in interpreting these to patients, visitors and the community.
The successful candidate will be a member of the Harborview GI Service, and function as an independent provider but with supportive consultation from the physician staff as needed to provide appropriate patient care.
Sample schedule – Will work five 4 hour sessions during the week. One of the five sessions will take place on Saturdays from 10 am - 2 pm.
As the region's only Level I Trauma center, Harborview Medical Center (HMC) is well known for innovations and excellence in trauma care and its centers of emphasis: Trauma, Burn, Neurosciences, AIDS/STD, Center for Advanced Reconstruction and Rehabilitation (CARER), and mentally-and medically- vulnerable populations. In addition to the centers of emphasis, HMC serves a mission population for King County. Harborview employees are committed to the vital role the institution plays in the immediate community, as well as the entire Northwest region. HMC is owned by King County and managed by the University of Washington (UW) and serves as a training site for UW’s School of Medicine. The UW is proud to be one of the nation’s premier educational and research institutions. Our people are the most important asset in our pursuit of achieving excellence in education, research, and community service. Our staff not only enjoys outstanding benefits and professional growth opportunities, but also an environment noted for diversity, community involvement, intellectual excitement, artistic pursuits, and natural beauty.
Req #: 142265