Job ID SSRRH-1814272
Date posted 08/02/2018
The Patient Optimization Practitioner is a professional nurse who, as a result of education and in-depth clinical experience in this defined area of nursing practice, possess the advanced knowledge and clinical skills necessary to provide expert nursing care to Perioperative patients. The major role functions are program development, program management, patient education, patient counseling, staff education, performance improvement, consultation and research. The Patient Optimization Nurse Practioner has responsibility for the quality of standard of nursing care for a specified patient population. "The incumbent has access to Protected Health Information as needed to accomplish the accountabilities as outlined in this job description. This includes access to the patient's medical record."
Develops, manages and evaluates the surgery patients to assure preoperative patients attain optimal health status prior to surgery to enhance surgical outcomes.
- Demonstrates mastery in the ability to use all components of the nursing process including assessment , planning, implementing and evaluating care to meet the Bariatric patient's needs according to their age, culture, psychosocial needs, and conditions .
- Counsels and educates patients and their families prior to surgery.
- Collaborates with nursing staff to develop or facilitate a plan of care based on age specific assessment and special needs of the surgical patient. Involves patient, family and interdisciplinary resources to develop and revise the plan of care.
- Utilizes advanced interpersonal skills to facilitate problem resolution with members of the health care team, patients and their families to ensure that the surgery patient's needs are met.
- Work with surgeon and in patient nursing staff to develop a coordinated and effective discharge plan in place for the surgery patient.
- Promotes a climate in which patients/families may act in their own interest and intervenes as an advocate when they are unable to do so.
- Formulates and participates in strategies to maintain and improve patent care outcomes. Coordinates multidisciplinary care conferences as needed.
- Coordinates performance improvement activities related to the Preoperative program.
- Develops organization-wide educational programs to educate staff and physicians in the identification and unique requirements of Bariatric surgery patients to ensure there is a formalized educational program which is implemented and updated as needed to educate staff regarding the Bariatric patient population.
- Provides individual and small group instruction, as well as lectures, seminars and conferences .
- Responsible for Sutter clinical documentation measures to demonstrate outcomes that meet or exceed regulatory standards .
- Participates in Sutter Health clinical guideline development , Sutter Health clinical equipment standards (related to bariatric surgery) and Sutter Managed Care Contracting processes.
- Responsible for patient education content.
- Develops, implements and evaluates preoperative patient care and patient education pathways.
Demonstrates leadership in daily activities.
- Promotes collaborative/caring relationships.
- Acts as a clinical resource and mentor to team members.
- Maintains a safe work environment by adhering to hospital, departmental policies and procedures and regulatory requirements.
- Exhibits consistent behavioral patterns of openness and appropriate support to all members of the health care team in every situation. All observations, suggestions and feedback are communicated in a constructive manner thus promoting a positive work environment. Consistently deals with others empathetically and tactfully.
- Assists in the development, research and revision of patient care standards of care and standards of practice, policies and procedures.
- Assists with the implementation of new systems and equipment specific to preoperative patients.
- Serves as a role model and as a resource to others regarding the efficient use of resources and the use of equipment/products.
Participates in professional development
- Maintains current knowledge and competency in the area of specialization and in professional practice through relevant conferences, workshops , preceptorships , and professional organization affiliations.
- Contributes to the expansion of the body of knowledge in nursing within area of specialization through research and encourages staff to do the same.
- Participates in the annual performance review process by identifying, developing and implementing goals and action plan with nurse manager.
- Models an open/questioning attitude toward research and literature, which could enhance clinical practice.
- Demonstrates accountability for apprising self of hospital and department communications and changes in practice.
- Recognizes the importance of practice trends in nursing and participates in research or performance improvement activities
- Master's required
- Five years of recent professional nursing experience in an acute care facility perioperative nursing required
- Registered Nurse - State Licensure - RNrequired
- Nurse Practitioner - NP required
- Basic Life Support Certification - BLS required
- Communicates effectively in English (verbal and written)
- Has effective skills in communication and interpersonal relationships.
- Has the flexibility to adapt to new and changing situations
- Has the ability to think critically and set priorities
- Demonstrates basic computer skills.
- Participates as a collaborative member of the Patient Care Team.
- Knowledge of Nurse Practice Act
- Advanced skills in area of expertise.
- Demonstrates the basic knowledge and skills necessary to provide age-specific care to patients serviced, including knowledge of the principles of growth and development and psychosocial characteristics and interpreting age appropriate data for the populations served in the department. Demonstrates appropriate communication and patient education skills for the patient population served.
- Demonstrates competencies required by department (per initial orientation and annual review) and has working knowledge of established safety topics (e.g., Infection Control, Electrical Safety, Disaster) as required by department and organizational standards.
- Specialty certification in area of expertise desirable.
- Ability to work during weekdays, weekends, holidays, and various shift hours.
Primary Location: California, North Bay/Lake County, Santa Rosa
Organization: Sutter Santa Rosa Regional Hospital
Employee Status: Regular
Position Status: Exempt
Job Shift: Day
Shift Hours: 8 Hour Shift
Days of the Week Scheduled: Varied Days
Weekend Requirements: Other
Schedule: Full Time
Hrs Per 2wk Pay Period: 80