Nurse Manager - Thoracic Cardiovascular
Less than 5 years experience • Education.
Manages the operations of a patient care area(s) in the provision of nursing care to patients and their families. A transformation leader that directs the activities of patient care and support staff.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1) Manages and supports the day to day operations of assigned patient care area(s). Supervises all nurses and support staff including but not limited to Registered Nurses, Patient Care Assistants and Technicians, Health Unit Coordinators, and related clerical staff. Oversees the preparation of schedules, utilizing wage and flex staff as appropriate. Adjusts according to patient flow.
2) Accurately forecasts and manages budget for the unit and ensures that any expenditures are within the budget. Knowledge ofrelated benchmarks, such as Paid hour per patient day and Worked hour per patient day.
3) Develops programs which address continuous quality improvement, system enhancement, streamlined processes, patience experience and overall nurse performance.
4) Ensures compliance with appropriate regulatory requirements specific to the unit supervised. Ensures that the highest quality nursing care is provided to patients and their families.
5) Develops and manages partnerships with clinicians, physicians and administrative counterparts to achieve common goals. Promotes integration of multidisciplinary work groups.
6) Manages recruitment, performance, team member engagement and retention activities of assigned staff.
7) Implement the UVA shared governance nursing model at the unit level ensuring shared decision making that affects nursing practice, quality improvement, professional development and research.
Education: Bachelor’s degree or higher in Nursing is required (e.g.: BSN, MSN). If only a Bachelor’s degree in Nursing, achieving a Masters in Nursing or related field (e.g.: MHA, MBA, CNL, MPA) is required within 4 years.
Experience: At least 3 years of progressively more responsible experience as a registered nurse in a patient care environmentrequired, five years preferred.
License/Certification: License to Practice as a Registered Nurse in the Commonwealth of Virginia required. American Heart Association (AHA) Health Care Provider BLS certification required. Valid Virginia Driver’s license required for managers withresponsibility operations in multiple locations.
Other Skills: Strong Communication skills both written and verbal, Critical Analysis skills, problem solving skills and prioritization/time management skills.