Nurse Manager - Psychiatric In-Patient Services
At University Health Network, which consists of Toronto General, Toronto Western, Princess Margaret and Toronto Rehab hospitals, nothing is more important to us than our team of dedicated employees. UHN focuses on creating and maintaining a workplace of choice, where our people are recognized and valued. We focus on creating a workplace where people enjoy the challenge of their career, create and engage in best practices and are treated with respect.
As a member of the Health Care Team, the Nurse Manager provides exemplary leadership in the management of the PSYCHIATRIC IN-PATIENT SERVICES, which includes services in Acute Care, General Psychiatry, Eating Disorders and Geriatrics. The Manager is responsible for the unit’s human and financial resources, and develops implements and manages short- and long-term plans which support and advance unit, site, and/or corporate strategic priorities.
The Nurse Manager is also accountable to ensuring that care requirements are met with appropriate competence and delivery, resolves patient care issues, problems and concerns. The Nurse Manager also implements and manages the unit’s quality improvement initiatives to ensure that patients receive the best possible patient care.
In support of organizational strategies and staff satisfaction initiatives, the Nurse Manager promotes the development of a motivated and cohesive team and supports educational strategies to enhance staff knowledge with respect to professional nursing practices and patient care.
- Completion of a Master's degree in Nursing
- Current certificate of competency (licensure) from the College of Nurses of Ontario
- A recognized equivalent in Health or Public Administration is an asset
- Specialty certification as applicable, i.e. Mental Health or similar is an asset
- Up to six (6) years of relevant experience in mental health, clinical and/or specialty field
- Three (3) to five (5) years of supervisory or management experience
- Demonstrates strong leadership and motivational skills
- Is client service oriented, with the ability to effectively work with diversity and appreciates that people with different opinions, backgrounds and characteristics bring richness to the challenge or situation at hand
- Excellent skills in recognizing, analyzing and resolving problems
- Effective organizational, interpersonal, and communication skills
- Excellent decision making skills with the ability to form/defend independent judgments and to use good judgment in assessing difficult situations
- Ability to work effectively and demonstrates composure under pressure/stressful conditions and to meet multiple and competing deadlines
- Exercises initiative and good judgment with ability to multi-task
- Demonstrates ability to work in a team environment and collaborates with others in assisting with the delivery of care to patients
- Adapts to and implements change and facilitates its acceptance by others.