- Develop and implement departmental objectives based on organizational goals.
- Develop and implement appropriate staffing and scheduling assignments. In order to drive departmental performance, assignments will reflect appropriate utilization of personnel, considering scope of practice, competencies, patient needs and complexity of care.
- Accept departmental accountability for current and new practices, clinical programs and systems necessary to support changing patient care needs.
- Accept organizational accountability for services provided to recipients.
- Develop, implement, monitor and be accountable for the budget for the defined area(s) of responsibility.
- Evaluate job performance of unit personnel by completing staff performance appraisals and competency assessments and by monitoring performance on an ongoing basis.
- Coordinate nursing care with otherhealthcare disciplines to maximize patient care outcomes and resource allocation.
- Evaluate patient, family, physician and staff satisfaction. Implement actions to establish improvements.
- Ensure appropriate orientation, education, credentialing, and continuing professional development for assigned personnel.
- Using input from staff, oversee recruitment, selection, and retention of personnel that are representative of the population diversity. Utilize various motivational strategies to increase staff morale and also provide counseling for employees as appropriate.
- Monitor the quality of patient care and safety, maintaining designated standards according to organization’s process improvement plan.
- Ensure evidence-based practice by participating in and involving the nursing staff in evaluative research activities.
- Ensure shared accountability for professional practice by fostering and developing a shared governance model in the department.
- Advocate for a work environment that minimizes work-related illness and injury.
- Serve as a clinical resource person by providing clinical guidance and by assisting nursing personnel in assessing patient/family status to plan of nursing care.
- Assist in department as needed and maintain specific identified Nurse Manager clinical competencies.
- Current licensure as a Registered Nurse, issued by the PA State Board of Nursing.
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Nursing (BSN) is required.
- Applicable certifications may be required for certain roles.
- Five (5) years as staff nurse in a related field.
- Five (5) years of previous management experience or participation in management courses.