5 - 7 years
Posted 108 days ago
Connecticut Children's Medical Center is a leading pediatric academic medical center consistently ranked by our peers as among the best children's hospitals in the nation. As the only free-standing hospital in Connecticut dedicated exclusively to the health and well-being of children, we are dedicated to delivering advanced pediatric care in a family-focused, comfortable setting.
The Manager is accountable for the overall quality of service provided by the department and for the supervision of the department's team members. The Manager ensures adequate staffing levels, appropriately trained staff and the most efficient use of resources. The Manager will delegate to other team members, as appropriate.
DEPARTMENT LEADERSHIP- Supervises and coordinates the day-to-day activities and
operations of the department, and patient care, on an assigned shift or delegates to others
- Ensures adequate staffing levels on a day-to-day and long term basis
-Establishes and maintains a flexible staffing plan to ensure quality care, patient safety and the most efficient use of
- Facilitates teamwork and cooperation among staff, effectively follows-up and resolves routine and complex employee relations issues, seeking support the Director and/or Human Resources as needed
- Recruits, Selects new staff; works with Education and Development to ensure a complete orientation process for nursing and PCA staff; coordinates or delegates the organization of the orientation process for other staff;
- Participates in all phases of the performance management process (planning, ongoing feedback/coaching, appraisal); works with Assistant Nurse Managers to ensure all reviews and coaching are completed in an accurate and timely manner
-Implements and monitors the CCMC care delivery model within the unit consistent with other patient care units.
-Develops (or provides input to) department staffing plans to ensure patient safety and most efficient use of resources.
Flexes staffing, as needed
- Role models professionalism at all times
-Provides input to or develops department budget, monitors expenses and accounts for monthly variances
- Ensures compliance with regulations of JCAHO, State, OSHA and other regulatory bodies.
- Demonstrates support for the mission, values and goals of the organization through behaviors that are consistent with CCMC's values, mission and behaviors.
CLINICAL PRACTICE --Competent to provide direct clinical care as needed. Provides safe, appropriate patient care to a defined patient population according to CCMC and department policies and standards.
-Coordinates with Education and Development to ensure staff receive education on new treatment modalities and on the care of new patient populations.
-Facilitates teamwork among department staff and between departments to help ensure a seamless service and optimal care to patients and families.
MULTI --DISCIPLINARY COLLABORATION -- Demonstrates effective communication and collaboration skills with all members of the health care team. Develops, or assists others in developing comprehensive plans of care that recognize the multidisciplinary contributions to patient care.
DOCUMENTATION- Conducts chart reviews and follows-up to ensure ongoing readiness for regulatory purposes. Completes all required documentation in a timely manner, according to CCMC policies and standards; necessary information is effectively communicated to all members of the health care team. Serves as a role model and provides feedback to clinical staff regarding compliance with department documentation standards.
PATIENT /FAMILY PARTNERSHIP AND EDUCATION - Follows through to resolution issues identified in patient satisfaction survey or through patient/parent complaint. Monitors, trends, and evaluates patient/family responses to their experience in the PICU and at CCMC. Provides appropriate education to staff on patient and family satisfaction. Ensure staff provide patient and family education and document appropriately.
QUALITY IMPROVEMENT- Demonstrates commitment to continuous quality improvement; leads change processes by independently coordinating department-based quality improvement activities for the department and or organization; collaborates in the review and development of policies and procedures. Implements improvements, and coordinates with educator to ensure appropriate education of staff; and, ensures system for ongoing monitoring and evaluation. Identifies clinical issues and leads quality improvement and/or research activities directed toward improving patient care. Participates in department Balanced Score Card business reviews and develops and implements action plans as needed.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
Day-to-day needs of patient population;
- Accreditation and certification requirements and standards
-Demonstrates knowledge of the age-related differences and needs of patients in appropriate, specific populations from neonate through adolescence and applies them to practice. Demonstrates cultural sensitivity in all interactions with patients/families
- Demonstrates computer proficiency in Windows environment; and use of Internet as research tool; Intermediate level skills in Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Demonstrates leadership and management skills including communication, conflict resolution, team building, problem-solving and decision-making.
- Work off-shifts occasionally to meet with staff on different shifts
- Provide expert care and consultation to patients/families; to demonstrate clinical competencies within specialty
area and assess the competencies of others
- Demonstrate all of the CCMC Leadership Competencies
- Communicate effectively, both orally and in writing
-Utilize independent judgment to resolve problems and make decisions on routine managerial matters on assigned shift
- Supervise and train employees, foster employee development and performance management
- Act in a professional capacity any serve as a professional role model.
- Coordinate quality assurance programs, and enforce organizational and unit policies, procedures and standards
- Demonstrates or has the ability to demonstrate all the as clinical competencies within the department within 6 months from start date.
Education and Experience
Collaborates with physician leaders to manage clinical and non-clinical support staff. Supervises day to day operations and support staff.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
BSN required. Master's degreepreferred.
Minimum 5 years relevant nursing experience required.
Management experience strongly preferred.
Minimum of 3 years Med/Surg experiencepreferred