Manages practice of professional nursing and delivery of nurse care on assigned unit. Establishes clinical direction for nursing care delivery, provides clinical supervision and maintains quality outcomes. Supervises all aspects of personnel management and development. Maintains adherence to regulatory standards. Coordinates unit operations with other depts. Develops and monitors budget.
This position is for a Medical-Surgical unit at Marymount Hospital.
- Manages practice of professional nursing and delivery of nurse care on assigned unit.
- Establishes clinical direction for nursing care delivery, provides clinical supervision and maintains quality outcomes.
- Collaborates with liaison departments in maintaining patient care standards., identifies and resolves issues affecting the delivery of patient care services in a unit.
- Develops quality initiatives and implements policies and procedures to insure efficient and effective delivery of health services in a unit.
- Develops and maintains unit related patient care standards through continuous quality improvement.
- Maintains JCAHO and other regulatory standards.
- Manages operation of unit.
- Analyzes personnel structure, determines staffing needs and mix.
- Provides direction and supervision, evaluates performance, conducts selection and termination process, develops strategic plans.
- Actively promotes staff and self development.
- Participates in clinical nursing research and supports foundation research activities.
- Directs unit participation in evaluation of new products.
- Approves purchases and establishes or revises inventory quotes.
- Assists in the development and monitoring of budget.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's Degree in Nursing required.
- Master's Degree in Nursing preferred.
- High degree of clinical expertise in specialty area managed.
- Demonstrated leadership, management, communication, counseling, problems solving, decision making, conflict resolution and group process skills.
Complexity of Work:
- Requires critical thinking skills, decisive judgment and the ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Must be able to work in a stressful environment and take appropriate action.
- Three years of recent nursing clinical experience to include at least one year of healthcare management experiencerequired.
- Requires full range of motion including handling and lifting patients, manual and finger dexterity and eye and hand coordination.
- Requires frequent data entry, sitting, standing and walking.
- Requires corrective vision and hearing to normal range.
- Requires some exposure to communicable diseases or bodily fluids.
- Medium Work - Exerting 20 to 50 pounds of force occasionally, and/or 10 to 25 pounds of force frequently, and/or greater than negligible up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
- Physical Demand requirements are in excess of those for Light Work.
Personal Protective Equipment:
- Follows standard precautions using personal protective equipment as required.