Receivinggeneral direction from the Director, the incumbent isresponsible for the delivery of consistent, high quality case management care to the patients andsupporting the development of the case management department.
Thenurse manager isresponsible for the oversight and management of daily operations for their area of responsibility within the department.
Including promoting the development and satisfaction of the nursing andsupport staff, providing operational efficiencies and insuring compliance with hospital and regulatory policies and standards of practice
This role isresponsible for patient focused management, personnel management and development, development of collaborative and teampartnerships within the department and interdisciplinary setting and participation in Department of Case Management, PHS and MGH groups and committees.
Drawing on a broad understanding of hospital and case management practices and policies, and displaying a highdegree of initiative and independent judgement, the incumbent will collaborate closely with the CMnurse directors and representatives from other departments to continually assess and direct solutions for a wide range of issuesAs a member of the Leadership team, he/she is jointlyresponsible for operational and fiscal efficiency and effectiveness of the department.
Relevant activities include, but are not limited to the following: LEADERSHIP
- Responsible for high quality care with positive patient outcomes
- Responsible for implementing and evaluating approve policies, procedures, standards of practice necessary for the coordination and delivery of excellent patient focused care
- Collaborates with the multidisciplinary team to plan the delivery of care
- Fosters an environment that supports excellence in practice through planning and implementing programs that contribute to positive patient outcomes. Holds staff accountable for implementing standards of care, practice and performance.
- Interviews, hires, supervises and evaluates staff per established personnel policies and procedures. Works collaboratively with human resources as needed.
- Develops effective problem solving strategies with nurse directors and staff for day to day issues as well as programmatic concerns in the areas of responsibility.
- Develops on going systematic evaluation of the work processes in areas of responsibilities and initiates changes in close collaboration with nurse directors, CMs and UM Specialists and staff to continuously improve processes.
- Directly supervises 30-40 clinical and non-clinical staff.
- May be required to attend meetings off sight and outside regular hours.
STAFFING SCHEDULING ANDPAYROLL
- Works with the nurse directors to identify and implement the staffing plan. Responsible for daily scheduling (including weekends) and accuracy of payroll and follow up on inaccuracies as needed. Responsible for the staffing within area of responsibility
- Collaborates with nurse director to establish and optimize scheduling and payroll practices
- Initiates process improvement initiatives related to workflow
- Actively works withHR regarding staff recruitment, screening, interviewing, hiring, competency and orientation coordination and on going personnel issues within area of responsibility.
- Facilitates Orientation and on boards new hires; identifying ongoing training needs in conjunction with CM Specialists.
- Conducts annual performance evaluations and provides ongoing coaching and feedback
- Works with appropriate resources to develop training and cross training for direct reports.
- Coordinates and monitors all daily activities of direct reports including: Prioritizes workloads Establish and monitoring of quality and quantity of work, management of staffing resources including absences and vacations.
- Maintains and updates case management knowledge and skills based on current case management practice
- Serves as active member of the CM Leadership team and participates in the establishment of department goals, policies, and procedures to support the mission and objectives of MGH.
- Coverage on weekends and holidays as needed.
- Shares coverage of Leadership beeper (7 days/week).
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Massachusetts RN License required
- Bachelor's degreerequired, master's preferred
- Minimum of 5-7 years of directly related experiencerequired
- Minimum of 3 years prior management and leadership experiencerequired
- Acute care hospital experiencepreferred
- Strong interpersonal and customer service skills
- Strong assessment and problem solving skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision
- Goal oriented and accountable
- Demonstrated organizational skills
- Demonstrated ability to work in a complex organization
- Ability to work in an interdisciplinary team based environment
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Computer experiencepreferred