Purpose of Position: Plans, organizes, budgets, directs and controls all activities of an assigned unit on a 24-hour, 7 day a week basis. Functions independently within broad scope of established policies and goals. Refers specific problems to the Vice President of Patient Care where clarification, interpretation, or exception to hospital policy, may be required.
- Manages overall operation of assigned unit and insures that needed and required policies, systems, procedures and standards are in effect and communicated to staff members on all shifts, and regularly reviews compliance through examination of records and reports, and discussion with supervisory and staff personnel.
- Maintains current knowledge of JCAHO and other applicable regulatory standards for assigned unit. Insures that policies and procedures are current, participates in inspections by JCAHO, State Public Health representatives, makes corrections resulting from such surveys, and documents changes made and reports as required. Obtains legal policy advice as needed. Regularly updates knowledge of techniques and regulations appropriate to the age of the patients served on the particular nursing unit.
- Interviews, selects, orients, schedules and assigns unit personnel. Conducts performance evaluations of assigned personnel and contributes evaluation information on other personnel as appropriate. Conducts evaluations for new staff prior to completion of probationary period. Supervises and evaluates clinical activities of contracted licensed nurses working within their department and ensures contracted licensed nurses know current policies and procedures. Counsels employees, recommends various personnel actions, takes appropriate disciplinary action for infractions of policy, resolves conflicts among staff, and aids in resolution of grievances.
- Recommends positions and necessary staffing required, participates in preparation of unit operating and capital budgets, justifies need for additional staffing, reviews periodic performance reports to the budget, monitors patient charges and expenses, and maintains expenditures within allocated funds.
- Responsible for safety and comfort of patients and health and safety of employees and provides for orientation to and practice of emergency procedures, fire drills, evacuation procedures, and internal/external disaster plans and procedures. Provides for orientation to and compliance with all infection control policies and procedures. Collaborates with hospital support services to provide a safe, clean and secure environment for patients, staff and visitors. Evaluates and sets standards for unit facilities and equipment, and monitors utilization of equipment, supplies and utilities.
- Promotes open communication within the unit, department and with other units and departments. Plans and conducts unit staff meetings. Provides input and standards in formulating patient care policy and procedures. Works with medical staff to coordinate medical and nursing management of patient care. Utilizes and promotes Quality Improvement standards and practice.
- Supervises nursing activities related to patient care and sets standards for accurate reporting and recording of patients' symptoms, reactions and progress. Organizes patient care and ensures continuity of care based on physician orders and knowledge of clinical nursing needs of patients. Evaluates patient care through assessment, planning, intervention, re-evaluation, observation, written documentation, and comparison to established standards. Administers nursing care to patients, as needed, to maintain clinical skills and to assess particular patient requirements.
- Serves as clinical resource person and assists Nursing personnel in assessing patient/family status to plan nursing care. Communicates with family members and health professionals regarding care of patients. Serves as patient advocate within guidelines found in the Patient Bill of Rights.
- Interprets philosophy, goals, objectives, policies and procedures for personnel, patients, and the public. Provides for professional growth and development of nursing staff, encouraging formal and continuing education. Establishes climate conducive to meeting educational needs and efforts to unit. Provides direction to educational and teaching efforts of the department of the hospital. Cooperates with clinical instructors in planning, implementation and evaluation of clinical experience of affiliating students. Assumes responsibility for own personal continuing education and development needs; attends meetings, workshops and conventions to enrich personal knowledge, growth and skill in providing clinical care for patients.
- Serves as a resource to other units in clinical specialty. Serves on nursing committees, hospital committees, or professional nursing organizations. Fosters good public relations for unit, department and hospital. Assumes role of manager on designated weekends and holidays. Performs other work related management duties and activities as assigned or requested.
- Graduation from an approved nursing education program with a Bachelor’s Degree in Nursing or related field or enrolled in an accredited program.
- Three to five years of progressively responsible hospital nursing experience
- Current license to practice professional nursing in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.
- Current Basic Life Support Certification.
- ACLS required for all In-Patient Nurse Managers.
- CPI (Crisis Prevention) within 4 months of new position and must renew annually.
Schedule Details: 40 hours per week, 7a-3p Monday-Friday, occasional weekends and holidays