- Develops unit objectives on a yearly basis and submits progress reports as required.
- Plans for unit staffing needs on a long term and short term basis, adjusts these appropriately according to GRASP nursing workload system and otherstaffing variables to maintain safe, efficient care in an effective manner.
- Prepares staff schedules in a timely manner. Monitors appropriate use of benefit time. Completes time cards for timely and correct payroll. Approves overtime
- Monitors unit staffing to budget, overtime/agency usage and provides justifications as needed.
- Interviews potential staff members and recommends hiring of applicants with appropriate skills and behavior in collaboration with recruitment
- Counsels and coaches staff concerning their work performance and development: holds staff accountable for performance.
- Evaluates work performance and clinical competency of personnel on a timely basis and makes recommendations for promotions, transfers, and discharge. Takes corrective and/or disciplinary action with staff in collaboration with the nursing director and Human Resources.
- Collaborates with Materials Management Department for appropriate supplies and equipment and ensures proper utilization and maintenance of supplies and equipment on unit.
- Maintains effective, ongoing and timely communication with staff and maintains records of meetings
- Communicates with peers, staff, patients, families and physicians clearly and professionally
- Makes recommendations for staffing, supply and capital budget needs of the unit. Monitors unit budget in collaboration with Clinical Director. Participates in annual staffing plan/budget review process
- Utilizes effective conflict resolution strategies when dealing with staff, physicians and family members
- Established pleasant work environment conducive to teamwork, growth and recognition.
- Assimilates LMC core values compassion, dignity, integrity, service throughout all processes and interactions.
- Participates in unit, departmental and hospital based councils/activities/special projects.
- Serves as a liaison to all other departments in the LMC system and demonstrates effective teambuilding and problem solving strategies in interactions.
- Acts as a resource to staff for regulatory and policy matters
- Provides divisional coverage as needed
- Performs other duties as assigned or volunteered in alignment with LMC mission, goals and values.
- Facilitates and ensures orientation of personnel to the unit. Plans cooperatively with the instructor, CNS, preceptor and new employee for experience needed to perform competently.
- Coordinates staff competency plan in collaboration with nursing education
- Cooperates with instructors of affiliating schools in planning the clinical experience of nursing students
- Makes recommendations for staff educational needs and plans educational activities independently and in conjunction with others. Participates in the clinical and leadership development of employees in his/her area. Maintains accurate records, and evaluates effectiveness of activities
- Shares new knowledge with staff and peers.
- Identifies and meets learning needs in order to maintain competency and respond to new clinical and management expectations.
To qualify you must have a BSN, MSN preferred
NY State RN license
3-5 years nursing experience with at least one year in Behavioral Health
Job ID: 1047872_RR00024531