Responsible for implementation of the education plans and programs developed from the annual educational needs assessment, BSHSI Strategic Quality Plan and Board Approved Goals. Responsible for the planning, coordinating, implementing and evaluating of educational programming for the nursing and nursing support departments. Uses critical thinking, and applies the nursing process, principles of adult learning, teaching/learning theories and age appropriate teaching strategies to the implementation of educational programs. Focuses on establishing collaborative relationships, and achieving expected outcomes of educational activities. Serves as internal consultant for education program development to support clinical outcomes at all levels of Nursing. Supports the journey towards, and maintenance of Magnet and Pathways to Excellence designation across all BSV entities
1. Must be a graduate of an accredited school of nursing and currently be licensed as a Registered Nurse in the State of Virginia.
2. Bachelor’s Degree in nursing required, Master’s Degree in Nursing preferred, a thorough knowledge of the nursing process and clinical nursing practice.
3. Ability to incorporate the Caritas principles in education.
4. Minimum of five (5) years of nursing practice experience required in area of educational role.
5. Nursing Professional Development Certification required within two years.
6. Experience with principles of continuous quality improvement, adult learning principles, and program planning required
7. Current Basic Life Support (BLS). Exhibit a high level of initiative, decision making and organizational skills.
8. Excellent communication and interpersonal skills related to all levels of personnel and disciplines, ability to develop relationships, mentor, coach, collaborate and develop teams across departments.
9. Proficient in Microsoft Office and clinical information systems.
10. Demonstrated expertise in the role of the Nursing Professional Development Specialist Practice Model, and education concepts and processes necessary for assessment, development, planning, implementation and evaluation of learning.