Purpose of Job
The primary role of the NSNA Commodity Purchasing Buyer will be managing commodity spend, developing supplier relationships, cost down initiatives, and supporting production procurement related activities. The ideal candidate will have at least 5 years’ experience with purchasing of mechanical or electronic components, depending on specialization. In addition, this role will actively engage in supplier development to support NSNA’s business needs. This role will be responsible for annual pricing negotiations with Suppliers, as well as working closely with manufacturing locations, program management and supplier quality to create strategic supplier strategies for all commodity types.
Top duties or activities in a given year. Not all tasks/steps performed are listed.
- Achieve annual cost reduction objectives for Production (VA/VE, CVA, Benchmarking)
- Annual Pricing Negotiations with Suppliers (Or LTA's)
- Evaluate risks in current supply base and work closely with Supplier Quality, Supply Chain and Manufacturing to establish approved suppliers for raw materials and components. Including researching of suppliers, negotiating production pricing, and resolving any commercial issues
- Collaborate with Engineering, Manufacturing and Supplier Quality to investigate new technical partners as needed for development. Responsible for establishing and maintaining the Supplier Panel to support early Supplier involvement for new products, customer quotes and new sourcings
- Negotiate and maintain contractual agreements, protecting intellectual property, quality, delivery, and lean principles to ensure world class competitiveness with supply base
- Prepare and implement commodity management strategies
- Proactive monitoring of current market trends, forecasting of price impacts and negotiation with Suppliers, including monthly reporting of those trends to the team
Education, Experience and Knowledge
Required and/or preferred level of education, knowledge and skills that are necessary.
Bachelor Degree in Supply Chain Mgmt, Engineering or related business emphasis
MBA or advanced degree is a plus
- Work requires at least 7+ years related work experience (automotive industry Tier 1 preferred)
- 5+ years in purchasing role
- 5+ years in a manufacturing environment
- Work experience in areas similar to ADAS, EV/HEV, HUD’s
- Technical ability, preferably with electronics and/or metal components
- High level of teamwork skills
- Excellent verbal & written communication
- Proven level of negotiation acumen
- Knowledge in project management
- Drive and passion for a challenging environment
- Very good communication and networking skills
- Experience working with interdisciplinary teams and remote teams
- Competent in problem solving, team building, planning and decision making
- Experience and knowledge in financial analysis, including forecasting & budget management
- Work requires strong oral and written communication skills (English Required)
- Ability to communicate in Spanish or Japanese preferred
- Ability to negotiate and operate in different cultures and to work under pressure
- Work requires Microsoft Office knowledge, advanced knowledge of Word, Excel, PowerPoint
- Work requires strong analytical skills (i.e. customer and/or supplier release analysis).
- Able to accommodate calls during off-hours and weekends to ensure customer issues are resolved.
Special Training or Competency
- Observation, understanding, and execution of applicable company ISO/IATF 16949 certification standards related to the role and impact on the overall organization.
- Commitment to the highest ethical standard
- Training on contractual process with suppliers by negotiating NDA’s, General Terms & Conditions and Statement of Work
- Microsoft Office applications, ERP experince (JDE, Plex or other)
- Strong supply chain background
- Proven negotiaator with proven ability to reduce price year over year
- Business Acumen, Financial analysis, Cost Management, Negotiations, Project Management, Production & Supply Chain
- Adaptation/Flexibility: Includes keeping an open mind regarding new ideas and ways of doing things. Willing to consider alternative interpretations or ways of looking at the situation. Demonstrating flexibility.
- Initiative/Results Driven: Includes setting high standards of performance for self and others. Striving to accomplish goals even if it means personal sacrifice. Putting the goals of the organization above own goals.
- Judgment/Decision Making: Includes making decisions and takes actions that have beneficial impact. Effectively evaluating information in order to come up with sound conclusions and recommendations.
- Resource Management: Includes setting clear objectives to guide action for self or others to accomplish goals. Organizing or adjusting information, people and materials to meet those goals.
- Team Work: Includes encouraging and supporting the ideas and effort of others. Finding ways to help the team or group perform effectively.
Work HoursMonday-Friday, 8 am – 5pm. Off-hours as needed.Travel Requirements10-15% international and/or domestic.
If domestic travel is necessary, valid drivers’ license is required.
If international travel is necessary, valid passport is required.